Master in High-Performance and Cloud Computing
MA program in High-performance and cloud computing is focused on the study and practical use of parallel computing systems solutions for computationally intensive tasks, the study of complex systems by modern methods of distributed and high-performance computing technologies, use of modern supercomputers and cloud technologies.
Master in "High-performance and cloud computing" is a high-class specialist, able to work in high-priority areas of ICT:
- Solving the complex problems (demands a system with the computational performance of 100TFlops and above) - to ensure the scalability of parallel algorithms and programs.
- Consolidation of resources and services (use of distributed computing technologies to enable effective choice and use of specific resources and services)
1 year - autumn
- Contemporary applied mathematics and informatics 3 ECTS
- Continuous mathematical modeling 3 ECTS
- Contemporary computer sciences 3 ECTS
- Object-oriented programming 3 ECTS
- Cloud computing 3 ECTS
- Introduction to parallel computing and algorithms 6 ECTS
- Optional courses 4 ECTS
- Foreign Language 2 ECTS
- Research project 3 ECTS
1 year - spring
- Methodology of applied mathematics and informatics 2 ECTS
- Discrete mathematical modeling 3 ECTS
- Advanced in Cloud computing 6 ECTS
- Telemedicine & E-Health 6 ECTS
- Pervasive computing/ Information security 6 ECTS
- Human-Computer Interface 6 ECTS
2 year - autumn
- Parallel technologies 6 ECTS
- Optional courses 4 ECTS
- Foreign Language 3 ECTS
- Research project 12 ECTS
- High-performance computing 12 ECTS
2 year - spring
- MA thesis
Master’s Diploma by Northern (Arctic) Federal University
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mathematics, IT or related subject area
- English proficiency (B2)
Masters of Science in Applied Mathematics and Information Technologies are provided with fundamental and professional skills to be able to carry out researches in a wide variety of fields, using mathematical methods and computer technologies, to formulate and analyze mathematical models of real processes and objects, to develop effective mathematical solutions of sciences, engineering, economics, and management problems, to provide research, engineering, industrial-technological, organizing and financial activity with software and control support. Master’s subjects of professional activity are research and computing centers, control elements, industrial production, financial and educational institutions.
- Leading lecturers from the M.V. Lomonosov Northern Arctic Federal University, other leading universities of Russia, universities in Luleå (Sweden), Oulu (Finland)
- Co-supervision of Master projects by two professors from different universities, one from the NarFU and another one from partner universities: Saint-Petersburg (ITMO), Finland, Sweden, Norway
- Participation in research projects within the profile of the program, joining as an employee to a young and friendly team of Institute of Mathematics, Informational and Space Technologies
- Participation in leading national and international scientific events, including abroad training and internships in leading universities of Russia
EXAMINATION AND ASSESSMENT METHODS
Mandatory coursework is given to each course. Approved assignments give access to the exam. The examination structure differs between the courses from written examination to project work reports, presentation of scientific work or oral examination. And often a combination of these methods. Details on assessment methods and access to any types of exams in the teaching free semester are stated in course descriptions.
LANGUAGE OF INSTRUCTION
The language of instruction is English and all of the syllabus material is in English. Examination questions will be given in English but may be answered either in English or a Russian language.
Also, the Master's thesis may be written either in English or a Russian language.
Graduates of the program are highly demanded specialists today and in the future.
SBES (Simulation-Based Engineering Sciences) is a complex of disciplines that form the scientific basis for computer modeling of different objects and systems: SBES is a major competitive advantage in the XXI century. Development of SBES is not possible without the extensive use of supercomputing and cloud technologies. The number of promising and highly-paid positions in Russia and abroad for experts in this area grows exponentially.
A semester abroad under NArFU exchange programs
ACCESS TO FURTHER STUDIES
On successful completion of the program, students may further their scientific career by enrolling in post-graduate school in Russia or in a Ph.D. program in Computer Science or High-Performance Computing at a partner university.
This school offers programs in: