With its focused thesis development process, the School of Graphic Design’s MFA program emphasizes the advanced study of the field and encourages students to extend their design skills into content creation, authorship, entrepreneurialism, and social innovation.
MFA Graphic Design Unit Requirements
- Major 27 units
- Directed Study 18 units
- Academic Study 12 units
- Electives* 6 units
TOTAL 63 units
*Per director approval
MFA Graphic Design Degree Requirements
- Successful completion of Final Thesis Project.
- Minimum 2.0 cumulative GPA.
- A minimum grade of C in all required 63 units.
MFA Program Learning Outcomes
Graduate students will meet the following student performance criteria:
Critical & Creative Thinking
- Conduct appropriate research to identify problems and potential solutions.
- Initiate appropriate level of audience involvement and participation.
- Demonstrate the resourcefulness and flexibility necessary to conceive and execute design solutions.
- Create compelling and engaging visual communications that convey appropriate messages and ideas.
- Address problems through a design process.
- Develop design solutions that function effectively within a defined context (social, cultural, technological, economic, etc.).
- Create visual communications demonstrating competent formal design skills which include: hierarchy, typography, aesthetics, composition and construction of meaningful images.
- Demonstrate competence in media, materials, tools, technology, and techniques.
- Demonstrate sound organization and design project management skills.
- Effectively present and communicate ideas.
- Demonstrate the skills necessary for chosen career path through the presentation of a competent body of work.
MFA Thesis Project
- Produce a comprehensive graduate thesis project that successfully utilizes design to solve for an identified problem.
- Propose a graduate thesis project that identifies a problem, and has the potential for successful development using design.
Visit www.academyart.edu to learn more about total costs, median student loan debt, potential occupations and other information. Accredited Member WSCUC, NASAD, CIDA (BFA-IAD, MFA-IAD), NAAB (B.ARCH*, M.ARCH), CTC (California Teacher Credential). Acting degree program is currently not offering online courses. **B.ARCH is currently in candidacy status.
All international students will require a VISA to enter the US and an OPT application to extend their stay after graduation. Selecting a STEM approved program allows for the benefit of being able to apply for an extended 24-month Optional Practical Training (OPT) stay to work in the country after graduation.
The following Academy majors qualify for the 24-month STEM Extension: Advanced Architectural Design; Advertising; Advertising & Branded Media Technology; Animation & Visual Effects; Architecture; Architectural Design; Art Education; Communications & Media Technologies; Game Development; Game Programming; Graphic Design; Graphic Design & Digital Media; Industrial Design; Interior Architecture & Design; New Media & Web Design. For more information on approved STEM programs, how to apply, and more common questions about studying as an international student at the Academy of Art University, visit our Frequently Asked Questions page here.
The program length is based on graduating in normal time.
For more information about our graduation rates, the median debt of students who completed the program, and other important information, please visit our website at, http://www.academyart.edu/disclosures
BY SUBMITTING THIS FORM, I GIVE CONSENT TO ACADEMY OF ART UNIVERSITY TO RECEIVE AUTODIALED AND/OR PRE-RECORDED TELEMARKETING CALLS, AND TEXT MESSAGES, FROM OR ON BEHALF OF ACADEMY OF ART UNIVERSITY AT THE TELEPHONE NUMBER(S) PROVIDED HERE. I UNDERSTAND THAT MY CONSENT IS NOT A CONDITION OF MY RECEIVING SERVICES FROM ACADEMY OF ART UNIVERSITY. ALL CALLS MAY BE RECORDED FOR QUALITY ASSURANCE.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated March 19, 2018