The Master’s degree in Game Studies and Engineering is an interdisciplinary program, instructing students on technical as well as analytical and ethical issues regarding video- and other games. The Master’s degree provides an ideal platform to study and create games and multimedia applications.
Students with a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Sciences or/and Humanities, an interest in the development, analysis, critical reflection of videogames, and proficiency in spoken and written English are encouraged to enroll in this program.
- The degree program has a strong interdisciplinary design and high practical relevance.
- A strong network of international partner universities and organizations will assist students in terms of their career and the content of the degree.
- Relevant experience through project work.
- The campus in Klagenfurt offers excellent supervision arrangements, small seminar groups, and manageable working groups. It is quick and easy to find friends and establish connections here!
Students will learn about narrative and aesthetic aspects of games and their history, the technical process of game production, engineering and tools used, the game development and design process as a complex system involving different roles and competencies, as well as ethical considerations and responsibilities of game developers.
- A Bachelor's degree in computer sciences or humanities, social sciences or cultural studies OR
- A comparable academic degree comprising at least 180 ECTS credits, e.g. a teacher training degree in English, in History, etc.
- English language proficiency in writing and speaking - level C1.
- A strong interest in video and computer games, analog games, and multimedia applications.
Careers and occupational profiles
Graduates will receive a Master of Science (MSc) or a Master of Arts (MA), depending on their chosen specialization during the program. A degree in Game Studies and Engineering will allow students to work in the games industry as valuable team members with a wide range of skills. The interdisciplinary nature of the program, combining technical, analytical, and critical competencies, will give students an advantage over one-sided schooling. In addition, graduates will also be able to work in the advertising and media industry.
Campus and student life
There’s more to student life than lectures and exams. The University of Klagenfurt is located in western Klagenfurt, close to Lake Wörthersee. The university is one of the few campus universities in Austria and enjoys excellent transport links with Klagenfurt city center. There are also a large number of restaurants and housing options in the area surrounding the campus. Since 2007, the campus has also been home to Austria’s most contemporary University Sports Institute (USI), which has an area of 1156 m² available for sporting activities. The USI offers a wide range of sports on campus, as well as a variety of sports camps all across Europe.
What other campus offers you the chance to:
- Hike and ski in the mountains within 30 minutes?
- Swim in the Italian seas within two hours?
- Be at the Venice Biennale within two and a half hours?
- Stroll through the Old Town in Rovinj, Croatia, in three hours?
About the School
The Faculty of Technical Sciences has been in existence since 2007, with the Department of Informatics being founded as early as 1986 and the Department of Mathematics and Statistics being established ... Read More