The Master of Fine Art program provides students a framework for advanced study in drawing and painting, printmaking, and sculpture. Students are focused on technical and conceptual development in figurative, abstract or landscape work. The School of Fine Art provides graduate students with studio space, exhibition galleries, and world class facilities.
MFA Fine Art Unit Requirements
- Major 27 units
- Directed Study 18 units
- Graduate Liberal Arts 12 units
- Electives* 6 units
TOTAL 63 units
*Per director approval
MFA Fine Art Degree Requirements
- Successful completion of a Final Thesis Project
- Minimum 2.0 cumulative GPA
- Minimum grade of C in all required 63 units
MFA Program Learning Outcomes
Graduate students will meet the following student performance criteria:
MFA Thesis Project
- Present an original thesis concept worthy of the MFA degree
- Demonstrate the feasibility of the thesis project
- Produce a body of professional-level artwork warranting a professional gallery exhibit, demonstrating personal vision, rigor and cohesiveness in style, group and concept
Work with appropriate skill in a chosen medium or mediums.
Planning and Conceptual Development
- Conduct project-related research
- Explore ideas and articulate concepts.
- Choose appropriate materials and techniques to support concepts.
Critically evaluate personal work using objective criteria: describing facts, analyzing composition, interpreting content, and judging results.
- Give clear and concise professional presentations (verbal and visual).
- Professionally present ideas in writing.
- Produce a gallery-ready professional portfolio.
- Produce professional promotional materials.
Specialty Skills: Printmaking
- Demonstrate proficiency in relevant printmaking techniques
- Demonstrate editioning skills
Visit www.academyart.edu to learn more about total costs, median student loan debt, potential occupations and other information. Accredited Member WSCUC, NASAD, CIDA (BFA-IAD, MFA-IAD), NAAB (B.ARCH*, M.ARCH), CTC (California Teacher Credential). Acting degree program is currently not offering online courses. **B.ARCH is currently in candidacy status.
All international students will require a VISA to enter the US and an OPT application to extend their stay after graduation. Selecting a STEM approved program allows for the benefit of being able to apply for an extended 24-month Optional Practical Training (OPT) stay to work in the country after graduation.
The following Academy majors qualify for the 24-month STEM Extension: Advanced Architectural Design; Advertising; Advertising & Branded Media Technology; Animation & Visual Effects; Architecture; Architectural Design; Art Education; Communications & Media Technologies; Game Development; Game Programming; Graphic Design; Graphic Design & Digital Media; Industrial Design; Interior Architecture & Design; New Media & Web Design. For more information on approved STEM programs, how to apply, and more common questions about studying as an international student at the Academy of Art University, visit our Frequently Asked Questions page here.
The program length is based on graduating in normal time.
For more information about our graduation rates, the median debt of students who completed the program, and other important information, please visit our website at, http://www.academyart.edu/disclosures
BY SUBMITTING THIS FORM, I GIVE CONSENT TO ACADEMY OF ART UNIVERSITY TO RECEIVE AUTODIALED AND/OR PRE-RECORDED TELEMARKETING CALLS, AND TEXT MESSAGES, FROM OR ON BEHALF OF ACADEMY OF ART UNIVERSITY AT THE TELEPHONE NUMBER(S) PROVIDED HERE. I UNDERSTAND THAT MY CONSENT IS NOT A CONDITION OF MY RECEIVING SERVICES FROM ACADEMY OF ART UNIVERSITY. ALL CALLS MAY BE RECORDED FOR QUALITY ASSURANCE.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated July 11, 2017