The MSc in Financial Economics is fully accredited by the Portuguese Agency for Assessment and Accreditation of Higher Education. Such accreditation is based on the recognition of the excellence of the program’s Faculty (scientific research and teaching practices), as well as on the exceptional quality of School’s facilities and equipment.
This master course is intended to fulfill the societies' growing needs of highly qualified resources in finance and to offer a specialized formation in this field, in English, that can capture national and foreign students. We aim to provide a specialized academic formation in this scientific field not only to undergraduate students of the University of Algarve but also to other national and international students, who look for a specialization in financial economics. On the other hand, the specialized formation provides the students with the appropriate background to attend the Ph.D. Program in Management and Economic Sciences, lectured by the Faculty of Economics of the University of Algarve.
Students of this Master Course also have an opportunity to attend courses of the Master in Finance and Banking at the University Pablo Olavide (Seville) in the Spring term.
Master Goals and Learning Objectives
The MSc in Financial Economics is a 3-semester program that provides students with rigorous training in economics, econometrics and finance, aiming to helping student progress in their studies at the Ph.D. level. In addition, the range of electives that are offered allow the graduate in Financial Economics to start his/her career in investment and commercial banks, central banks, consulting firms and policy oriented organizations. In particular, after graduating students should be able to:
- Critically interpret the current research in Financial Economics and evaluate it's empirical relevance;
- Understand the role and duties of financial institutions;
- Understand the way financial markets work and identify potential market failures that require the state's intervention and regulation;
- Perform empirical research in financial economics using appropriate quantitative methods.
This is a Master Program with recruitment at national and international levels. Job opportunities for graduates in Financial Economics are very promising. Statistics show that the majority of graduates in Financial Economics obtain employment in several areas, particularly linked to the financial sector. Among others, it can be mentioned the following areas:
- Banks and other financial institutions (insurance, funding management societies, stock exchange, leasing societies, factoring societies, brokerage firms);
- Consulting and auditing firms;
- Firms' financial departments;
- Central Public Administration (departments of foresight and planning, public institutes in the fields of Economics and Statistics);
- International economic organizations.
Cost & Fees
|Application Fee||Enrrolment Fee||Tuition fee for EU nationals||Tuition fee for International Students*|
( 1st year - 2250€;
2nd year - 500€)
(1st year - 2250€;
2nd year -875€)
Note: The amount of fees for the 1st year is divided into 8 installments and for the 2nd year into 4 installments.
*According to the Law n.º36 / 2014, international students are nationals of a state, which is not a member of the European Union and who do not reside legally in Portugal for more than 2 years uninterrupted by 31 st of August of the year in which they wish to enter higher education.
- Students holding a Bachelors degree or equivalent legal qualification;
- Students holding a Bachelors degree in Economics, Management, Finance, Engineering, Physics, or other with appropriate background in quantitative methods;
- Students holding an European Union university degree in accordance with the requirements of the Bolonha Treaty, in the terms of subparagraph b);
- Students holding a foreign university degree that is considered suitable by the Scientific Board, in the terms of subparagraph b);
- Students with an academic, scientific and professional curriculum that is considered suitable by the Scientific Board;
- The recognition referred to in subparagraphs b) to d) only enables the access to the cycle of studies leading to master’s degree and does not confer the equivalence to a Bachelor degree or recognition of that degree;
- The frequency of the cycle of studies requires proof of independent domain of English, spoken and written.
- Application Form
- Photocopy of passport or identity card;
- Taxpayer number (for Portuguese applicants only);
- Color photograph;
- Curriculum Vitae;
- University Degree Certificate and Academic Results Transcripts;
(Note: If you are non-Portuguese, these documents must be certified in your country by a notary under the Hague Apostille Convention or by the Portuguese Consulate. Documents in English, Portuguese, Spanish or French do not require translation. Documents in any other language must be translated into English or Portuguese)
- Proof of payment of the application fee (you will receive an e-mail with all payment details after submission of the application form).
This school offers programs in:
Last updated January 31, 2018