Master in Fashion & Law
Aimed at candidates who have previous undergraduate study in law, economics or marketing. Those who have proven work experience in these fields may also access this course.
The global activity of the majority of the luxury brands, requires that they are knowledgeable of legal requirements in relation to fashion business. Through the study of subjects such as licensing, merchandising, import & export, distribution and franchising agreements, intellectual property rights, employment and labour relation issues, safety, sustainability and consumer protection issues, participants will learn the technical and theoretical concepts they need to advise and develop company strategy. By analysing different aspects of commercial and corporate law, intellectual property law, trademark law, labour law and business law, participants will understand how it is possible to expand the brand, ensuring that legal and ethical issues are fully respected.
The emphasis of the course is on the knowledge of aspects related to the development of the supply chain and sale of the fashion product, evaluated in a comparative manner in different countries.
Creativity, production, sales and promotion take place in different locations around the world, and the laws on these matters are as diverse as the countries themselves. Participants will engage with various issues, highlighting innovative solutions that the luxury and fashion brands have applied in the field.
The responsibility of the future fashion manager is to be aware of the sustainability of businesses and the ethical issues that are protected more and more by law. Customer awareness also means that the consumer is attentive the products being delivered on the market and their role in ensuring the product is fit for market. The professional growth of graduates in the course will come through the company where they are currently practicing, and are able to bring what they learn in the course to enrich their own performance within a legal firm; newly-acquired knowledge from the world of fashion will inform their skills in the field. The participants will also be able to inform start- ups in luxury fashion that will contribute important improvements to the field of fashion law.
- appraise the concept of creativity applied to fashion and luxury products and evaluate how companies manage product design, manufacturing processes, commercialization and promotion options in a sustainable way;
- research and evaluate case studies where the development of an ethical approach to the market has increased brand value;
- understand the concept of luxury in the global luxury goods market and critically analyse the different luxury business models and growth strategies suitable for mature and/or emerging luxury goods markets;
- critically analyse fashion-specific legal advice to meet the challenges of issues facing fashion companies in international contexts;
- evaluate a range of sociological fashion theories in order to analyse key developments within the history of fashion in the 20th and 21st centuries and their relationship to contemporary trends, cultural movements, and innovation.
- fashion law and finance
- fashion marketing management
- ethics and sustainability
- contemporary issues in fashion
- fashion licensing
- research methods
This school offers programs in: