Analyze. Strategize. Manifest.
The Master in Fashion Management is a multi-disciplinary program for dynamic individuals who wish to enhance both their creative and managerial skills within the world of fashion. Through a combination of theory and hands-on practice, the program turns students into professionals who understand the language and rules of the fashion system, and who have expertise in brand management and communications.
You’ll learn by working directly with fashion industry managers and creative professionals. You’ll gain the skills to generate proposals; guide the creative process; and oversee production, distribution, and marketing. You’ll define your own analytic approach and language of expression, and develop advanced research projects on a range of topics and ideas.
The program is designed for candidates who have a first-level degree in business, design, liberal arts, or the human sciences, and who wish to acquire skills to begin a career in the fashion business.
During this degree program, students will:
- Acquire in-depth knowledge of the dynamics of fashion production by integrating and supervising each step of creating a fashion collection
- Investigate marketing, distribution, and communication strategies for fashion retailing
- Explore approaches to fashion buying, budget management, and fair negotiations
The program is workshop-based, supported by seminars, lectures, tutorials, and fieldwork. Industry professionals, the course leader, and project leaders guide students via individual coaching and project mentorship.
The program consists of four main modules, each of which includes a two-week course and six-week workshop. The modules are followed by a two-month internship period and a final portfolio presentation. The modular structure is customizable, allowing flexibility and variety to better serve each student’s needs and goals.
Coursework focuses on:
- Exploring the historical, contemporary, psychological, anthropological, and sociological aspects of the fashion phenomenon
- Learning management and marketing strategies for fashion and luxury companies
- Developing effective communication strategies for the world of luxury and fashion
- Investigating methods and tools for fashion research and design
- Exploring the factors that determine the economic performance of a brand or company
- Branding your own work and developing your professional identity
Guided by industry professionals and faculty project leaders, you will work in cooperation with leading companies on practical projects relating to fashion management. Some possible workshop topics include the following:
- Analyze a luxury brand’s verbal and non-verbal DNA and articulate its core values in order to develop new extensions (i.e., products or product categories) within the brand.
- Gain an insider’s view on the key role of fashion buyer. Filter through product offerings to select the right mix of merchandise that could sell in adequate quantities to achieve a retailer’s profit-margin objectives.
- Produce either a real fashion editorial for a print or online magazine or a proposal for an advertisement campaign.
- Develop a coherent visual merchandising display from concept to execution.
- Learn how to use both offline and online communication and advertising, as well as publicity events, to promote a fashion project.
The final element of the program is the portfolio review. You will present your portfolio of work completed during the year in front of an exam board for evaluation.
There is no better way for you to gain experience in your field than actually working in it. The internship is a chance for you to work onsite for a company or design studio in your field of interest—while applying all the strategies you learned in the classroom and in workshops. Alternatively, you can complete an intensive project in collaboration with a company on the Domus Academy campus. Either way, you’ll get an inside perspective on how your industry really works, and you can make important connections that will further your career.
The internship lasts two months and comes at the end of your year of studies. 100% of our students participate in the internship, including non-EU students, who may extend their visas for up to one year to complete this portion of their studies.
Several prestigious companies and design studios collaborate with the Master in Fashion Management program, actively participating in courses, workshops, internships, and international competitions organized by the department. Students have the opportunity to work directly with companies in their workshop projects and internships. This direct collaboration facilitates mentorship and gives students access to a wide network of professional connections. Companies and organizations involved in this program include:
10 Corso Como, Albino, Antonioli, Calvin Klein Collection, Camera Italiana Buyer Moda, Bonaveri, Felice Limosani, Fendi & Maserati, Google Italia, Hogan/ Tod’s, L.A. Distribuzione, L’Oréal, La Rinascente, Moncler, Montblanc Germania, Penelope Stores, Pleats Please, Privalia, Red Valentino, Roberto Cavalli, Salvatore Ferragamo, Sergio Tacchini International, Sisley – Fabrica, Slowear, Stone Island, Swarovski Elements, Sonae Sierra, Trussardi, Versace Gioielli, Versus/VJC, Vionnet, YouTube.
Upon graduation from Domus Academy, you’ll earn a degree that’s recognized around Europe and the world—an Academic Master’s Degree (60 ECTS credits) accredited by the Italian Ministry of Education, Universities and Research (MIUR)*. You’ll also earn a second valuable qualification: the Domus Academy Master’s Diploma.
Our accreditation has helped Domus Academy build relationships with prestigious companies, so you have the chance to gain practical work experience during your course of study. An accredited degree, plus the practical experience you gain through an internship, shows employers that you received a top-quality education and that you bring industry-relevant knowledge and skills to the table when you join their team.
Our accreditation also means that the relevant academic credits you earn at Domus Academy will transfer to other institutions if you choose to work toward another master’s or a doctoral-level degree.
*The Academic Master’s Degree is validated through NABA, Nuova Accademia di Belle Arti Milano.
Graduates of the Master in Fashion Management program may launch their career as a fashion brand manager, product manager, retail/store manager, or fashion buyer. They could also take on a role in marketing/PR or events planning. They may work for fashion brands or design agencies, or they may choose to be self-employed.
Spaces in this program are limited. Participants will be selected based on their applications.
We have a dedicated team of educational advisors who will be happy to help you with completing your application. If you have any questions, please contact us.
Check Entry Requirements
When considering candidates for admission, the Admissions Manager looks at the applicant’s entire profile, including their academic records, work experience (if any), extracurricular activities, test scores, and recommendations.
Prepare Supporting Documents
- Curriculum vitae/résumé
- Artistic and/or professional portfolio of projects (not mandatory)
- Letter of motivation
- An English translation of the academic transcript, listing courses and exams, noting the number of hours per credit and giving a brief description of each course
- Copy of bachelor’s degree/academic diploma translated into English
- Documentation regarding further courses or seminars attended (if available)
- Certificate of English language proficiency
- Copy of passport
- Receipt for payment of the €100 application fee
Submit Your Application
Upon receiving your application and required documents, each course leader and the Admissions Committee will evaluate your application to determine whether your degree and experience correspond to Domus Academy requirements. They also identify credit deficits and/or credits that could be transferred.
If you are accepted to Domus Academy, you will receive an admissions letter and package.
Our sister school, NABA (Nuova Accademia di Belle Arti Milano), which shares our campus, awards the Academic Master’s Degrees. In order to receive this degree, the qualification recognized by the Ministry of Italian Education (MIUR), you must enroll at NABA.
When your admission to Domus Academy is confirmed, you must secure your place by filling out and returning your enrollment form, along with your receipt for payment of the pre-enrollment fee, within 30 days of the date on your admission letter.
Upon receiving these items, Domus Academy will provide non-EU applicants with all necessary assistance in order to apply for the student visa.
After you are formally enrolled, you are requested to pay the total tuition fee by the starting date of the course.
This school offers programs in:
Cost & Fees
- EU countries and Switzerland €16,990
- non-EU students €28,600
For each student: € 520.
Students who meet the relevant entry requirements and are interested in pursuing the Academic Master’s Degree (60 ECTS), which is recognized by MIUR and awarded by NABA, must pay the matriculation fee by the first day of the course.
Last updated February 23, 2017