The MA in European Studies (MES) is a one-year interdisciplinary program aimed at training future experts in European Union affairs and institutions. The master provides students holding at least a Bachelor’s Degree (or Italy’s Laurea Triennale) with broad yet specific proficiencies in EU institutions and policies.
The program, in particular, provides:
- Advanced training on EU institutions and European policies
- Multinational perspective on EU public policies and EU Mediterranean affairs
- Seminar-style teaching
- An international student body at a top class academic institutions
- Unrivalled academic competency with an international faculty
- Strong professional and networking with regular meeting with EU professional experts and practicioners
- Practical training on EPSO selection procedures and EU Project Management Cycle
- Access to national and international institutions based in Rome
Eligible for the Master in European Studies are all candidates with a 3-years (BA) diploma in political and social sciences, history, international relations, law and economics.
Candidates with a background in languages, humanities or communication studies will also be considered.
The program is led by Prof. Giovanni Orsina, Deputy Director of the LUISS School of Government.
APPLICATION DEADLINE 15 APRIL 2017
The master consists of:
- 4 Core courses and related Seminars/Workshops in the 1st semester, for a total of 28 ECTS;
- 6 Elective courses out of those offered, for a total of 18 ECTS;
- Participation in a Simulation Exercise on Negotiation and Decision-making in European Institutions, for 3 ECTS;
- Attendance of at least one of the Trainings (Learning Policy Advise / EPSO or European Project Management) for 4 ECTS. Attending both pieces of training does not substitute an Elective course or another element for 3 ECTS of the Master;
- Final Master Dissertation by the end of the enrolment term (30 September), for 7 ECTS.
Core courses (compulsory, 4 ECTS each)
- European Politics in the 20th Century - 30h (Giovanni Orsina)
- European Institutions - 30h (Yves Mény)
- European Macroeconomics - 30h (Pietro Esposito)
- Policies and Policy-making in the EU - 30h (Lorna Schrefler)
Seminars/Workshops (compulsory, 3 ECTS each)
- European Politics in the 20th Century - 10h (Christian Blasberg)
- European Institutions - 10h (Cristina Fasone)
- European Macroeconomics - 10h (Pietro Esposito)
- Policies and Policy-making in the EU - 10h (Giacomo Luchetta)
Elective courses (optional, 3 ECTS each)
- European Energy Economics and Policy - 20h (Christian Egenhofer)
- European Foreign and Security Policy - 20h (Frédéric Mérand)
- Security and Migration in the Mediterranean - 20h (Stefania Panebianco)
- European Internal Market and Competition Policies - 20h (Roberto Pardolesi)
- Germany and European Integration - 20h (Christian Blasberg)
- History of European Integration - 20h (Maria Elena Cavallaro)
- History and Politics of EU Aid Policy and Projects - 20h (Igor Pellicciari)
- Business and Economics in the Mediterranean Area - 20h (Cecilia Jona-Lasinio)
- Cohesion Policies in the EU 2014 - 20h (Robert Leonardi)
- Transnational Activism, Global Governance, and the EU - 20h (Raffaele Marchetti)
- European Social Policy - 20h (Silvana Sciarra)
Compulsory Training (2 at choice - 4 ECTS)
- EPSO Preparation course - 20h
- Learning Policy Advise - 20h
- European Project Management (EPM)
Compulsory Training (3 ECTS)
- Simulation Exercise: Negotiation and Decision-making Processes in European Institution
- Guest Professional and Academic Series
- Career Service Training
- Academic Methodology Training
MES students may have the possibility to attend courses offered within other SoG master programs.
Students are expected to complete a 20.000/25.000-word, final dissertation under the supervision of a member of the faculty of the Master course.
Following the successful completion of the academic requirements, students will gain 60 ECTS and be awarded the title of M.A. in European Studies.
This master course is designed not only to provide participants with hands-on knowledge and understanding of European affairs and institutions but also to cultivate other skills designed expressly to enhance employability and aid professional career development in a European environment.
In order to enhance professional development, this course offers:
- Preparation for EU competitions organized by the European Personnel Selection Office (EPSO).
- Training on EU project cycle management
- Networking meetings
- International career days.
- Workshops on CV writing & interview techniques.
- Access to global LUISS University Alumni network
Since the start of the program, our graduates have started successful careers in
- EU institutions
- international organizations
- national governments
- European lobbying firms
- NGOs operating in Europe
- research centers.
In particular, our graduates have started the following professional developments:
- Project Officer, Lattanzio, and Associati, (Romania)
- Consultant, World Food Program and International Agency of Atomic Energy (Rome and Vienna)
- Administrative Assistant, European Commission (Belgium)
- Teaching Assistant, University of Oslo (Norway)
- Organizational Development Coordinator, AFS Intercultural Programs (Hungary)
- Assistant to General Manager, Tsakos Industrias Navales (Uruguay)
- Consultant, AT Kearney (Czech Republic)
- Coordinator Technical Support, Saudi Oger Ltd (Saudi Arabia)
- Researcher, Security Defense Agenda (Belgium)
- Policy Officer, European Commission Delegation at the UN (USA)
- EU Project Assistant, ESMO Srl (Italy)
- EU Policy Analyst, European Security Round Table (Belgium)
- Office Manager, Co.Me.F.Srl (Italy)
- Assistant, Network of European Region Using Space Technologies (NEREUS) (Belgium)
- Diplomat, Diplomatic Academy of Vietnam
- Project Assistant, Security and Defence Agenda (Belgium)
- Event Administrator, WYSE Travel Confederation, (Netherlands)
- Project Officer, Ministry of Social Affairs (Turkey)
Should you want to discuss our career prospects, please feel free to schedule a call with Dr. Lorenzo Valeri, Scientific Manager, LUISS School of Government by writing to email@example.com
Tuition fees for the Master in European Studies (MES) have been fixed at € 7.000.
About the School
LUISS Guido Carli is a multidisciplinary University offering degrees at all academic levels. The focus is on business studies, economics, politics and law. The campus is located in the center of Rome ... Read More