Master in European Studies: Arctic Focus
Foreign Regional Studies is a prestigious, prospective direction in training qualified specialists having in-depth knowledge of foreign countries and regions. Training a specialist in the field of foreign regional studies provides for the comprehensive study of European countries, international relations, organizations, associations, development outlooks for the world and regional policy, world and national security.
1 year - autumn
- History and Methodology of Foreign Complex Regional Studies
- Foreign Language (English, German)
- Political Systems of the European Region
- Countries in the System of International Relations
1 year - spring
- Foreign Language (English, German)
- Regional Economics
- Social Anthropology
- Countries of Western Europe
- Countries of the Northern Europe and the Arctic
2 year - autumn
- Processes of Modernization, Transformation, and Integration in Europe
- Cultural Space of Europe
- Economics – Socio-Economic Problems in the European Region
2 year - spring
- MA thesis
Master’s Diploma by Northern (Arctic) Federal University
- Bachelor’s Degree in Regional Studies or related subject area
- English proficiency (B2)
The Master's Degree program in Foreign Regional Studies will provide a deeper understanding of theoretical and applied political analysis, methodology and scientific research. The program also provides a basis for independent scientific work.
The candidates who complete the program are expected to have achieved the following learning outcomes, defined by general competence, knowledge, and skills.
- extensive and broad knowledge of complex regional studies and international relations in accordance with national and international standards in the field.
- comprehensive knowledge at a high level in modeling regional political, economic, socio-cultural processes and in realizing foreign-policy, foreign- economic and cross-cultural contacts with European countries.
- find and evaluate relevant sources in a critical manner, and analyze socio-political studies of foreign countries compare them with the development of political systems, cultures, and processes in different world regions.
- present information and ideas in an instructive manner to both researchers and the general public.
- formulate relevant research questions in an independent manner, and develop research programs in line with scientific and ethical standards.
- explain causes of integration and disintegration processes in the modern world, analyze their sources, internal contradictions and potential consequences.
- demonstrate in-depth knowledge of linguistic and cultural peculiarities of studied region.
- acquired in-depth and specialized disciplinary competence through their education.
- participation in research projects and for doctoral studies.
- analyze social, economic, political and foreign-policy issues that require skills at a high level.
- apply their knowledge and skills in theory and methods of international relations in new areas to perform advanced tasks and projects.
Graduates of the program will be ready to perform business communications with foreign partners, to accomplish duties of a press-secretary, a manager of regional and federal bodies of public administration responsible for realizing foreign policy in respect of European countries, giving an expert evaluation of data in various aspects of social, political and economic development of foreign countries and regions, preparing analytical dossier of different countries, establishing and maintaining of cultural and professional contacts with embassies and consulates of Russia in foreign countries.
There are also professional opportunities within the media and education, government bodies, public administration, government and nongovernment organizations, scientific institutions and private companies having relations with foreign partners.
A semester abroad under NArFU exchange programs
ACCESS TO FURTHER STUDIES
NArFU Ph.D. program 07.00.15 “History of international relations and foreign policy” (3 years)
This school offers programs in: