The #MCAUdG master is aimed at training professionals and researchers and deepening the scientific, methodological and technical knowledge necessary for the analysis, diagnosis and management of environmental change. Have three main objectives:
- Obtaining fundamental knowledge for the analysis, diagnosis and management of global environmental change.
- Acquisition of fundamental knowledge to favor the mitigation of impacts on society and the environment.
- Development of skills and abilities and knowing instruments to respond to the problems generated by environmental change and facilitate adaptation to this change. Sean Stratton / Unsplash
- Name of the master: Master in Environmental Change: Analysis and Management
- Scope: Environment and Chemistry
- Type: Mixed (professional and research)
- Affiliation unit: Environment Institute
- Academic Secretariat: Faculty of Sciences
- Duration: 60 ECTS (one academic year)
- Calendar and hours: School period: annual (from October to June). Hours: preferably in the afternoon. More information
- Regime: Full time
- Modality: Face-to-face
- Teaching languages: Catalan, Spanish and English. The teaching language will be adapted for Latin American students.
- Maximum number of places: 40
- Price: Pre-registration: 30.21 euros. Registration: 46.11 euros / credit (65.87 euros / credit for citizens of countries outside the European Union, not residents of the Spanish State).
The master aims to train competent professionals in the analysis, diagnosis and management of global environmental change by deepening the necessary scientific, methodological and technical knowledge.
In this general framework, importance will be given to climate change as the main vector of global environmental change; especially to the mitigation of its impacts and to the adaptation of the environment and society within the framework of integrated models that facilitate environmental, economic and social sustainability.
As objectives, the following stand out:
- Acquire the fundamental knowledge for the analysis, diagnosis and management of global environmental change.
- Acquire the fundamental knowledge to allow the mitigation of the impacts on society and the environment of climate change and facilitate adaptation.
- Acquire skills, abilities and know instruments to respond to the aforementioned problems.
Access, admission and registration
To access this master it will be necessary to be in possession of an official Spanish university degree or issued by a higher education institution of the EHEA that empowers the title in the issuing country for access to master's degree courses, as established in article 16 of the Royal decree 1393/2007.
Have to prove a level of English B2.1 or equivalent. An accrediting certificate will be required if it does not appear in the academic record. The ways to accredit the English level can be found at this link . If in doubt, send your certificate or inquiry to email@example.com .
Selection of candidates
The records of the students in possession of a degree or bachelor's degree or engineering in Environmental Sciences, Geography, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Geology, Economics, Sociology, Industrial Engineering or Agricultural and Forest Engineering, as well as the training acquired in other degrees, will be valued. from the scientific, technical and social sciences fields, which may require some additional training. The students who accredit the best academic record will be prioritized, and the following criteria will also be considered: that they have their own funding (scholarship) within the framework of a research group at the University of Girona, that accredits a knowledge of languages (in particular, a sufficient knowledge of the English language to be able to follow the teachings, which could be partially taught in English) and, finally, other merits such as previous research experience or professional practice in the field of the environment. It will also be valued that the final objective is the presentation of a doctoral thesis at the University of Girona.
Throughout the course the following requirements must be overcome:
Analysis and diagnosis of environmental change 30.00 credits
- Scientific bases of environmental change
- Impacts on the natural environment
- Impacts and adaptation on human activity, territory and landscape
- Integrated practices
Management instruments 18.00 credits
- GIS Fundamentals
- GIS Applications to Environmental Analysis
- Multivariate analysis of environmental data
- Models for environmental management
- Applications of the dimensions of sustainability
- Adaptation instruments in spatial planning, urban planning and landscape
- Natural risks associated with the climate
- Adaptive management of the biophysical matrix and the landscape
- Environmental governance, communication processes and decision making
- Adaptation and mitigation. Geopolitical dimension and public regulatory instruments
- Tools for Conservation Biology
- Fauna: adaptations and management
- Biodiversity Assessment
- Genetic resources in environmental management
- Flora adaptations: bases for their management
- Natural Protected Areas
- Scientific bases for the management of the aquatic environment
- Energy management
- Emissions and air pollution
- Physical contamination measures
- Environmental monitoring
Final Master's Project 12.00 credits
- Final work of master
The master aims to prepare professionals in the following subjects:
- Analyze and interpret the complexity of environmental processes and changes
- Recognize the temporal and spatial dimensions of environmental processes and changes
- Know the conceptual frameworks to analyze and interpret the processes of environmental change and conflict
- Know the response mechanisms and management of environmental processes and changes
- Build environmental scenarios and policies to help protect, improve and recover the territory and environmental vectors
- Design strategies and apply planning tools and techniques for a more sustainable management of environmental and territorial vectors
- Evaluate the processes of environmental transformation by applying methodologies and instruments linked to theories of reference, capable of measuring the mechanisms of action and the results
More specifically, the master aims to prepare professionals with the following profiles:
- Researcher at universities, companies or other research centers
- Technician responsible for environmental issues in companies in different sectors and in public administration
- Environmental consultant
- Manager of protected natural areas
- Technician responsible for conducting and monitoring environmental audits and environmental impact studies
- Environmental professional in the industrial sector dedicated to environmental issues or environmental process engineering
About the School
La Universidad de Girona es una institución pública que se integra en el sistema de universidades públicas catalanas, sobresale en la docencia y en la investigación y participa en el progreso y el des ... Read More