This specialisation addresses the main issues that are currently relevant in education: educational innovations, assessment and testing and the growing diversity in the background of pupils.
The curriculum of each Pedagogical Sciences specialisation consists of a series of theme-related courses. All the activities during this course, i.e. lectures, tutorials, practical meetings, and assignments, are specifically focused on this theme. Every course consists of a theoretical part (knowledge) and a practical part (skills).
Please mind that the following curriculum represents the current academic year. Adjustments to the curriculum and descriptions of courses will be added in the course of the year; a definitive curriculum can be seen in spring of the current academic year.
The curriculum is subject to alteration. No rights may be derived from this information.
- Innovation in Education and Training
- Practical Investigating Educational Innovations
- Assessment in Education and Training
- Practical Assessment in Education and Training
- Diversity in Education and Training
- Practical Intercultural Sensitivity and Intercultural Competences
- Applied Multivariate Data Analysis
- Practical Applied Multivariate Data Analysis
- Internship & Thesis
Why study Master Educational Sciences
Are you interested in youth, families and schools with multiple and complex urban problems? Become a policy-maker, consultant or researcher by enrolling in the Master’s programme in Educational Sciences.
During this programme, you will learn about innovation in education, the paramount role of assessment and testing and examine which methods are effective for children in urban schools and classrooms with diverse student populations. This specialisation includes modules in which current scientific theories on the effectiveness of both teaching methods and schools are discussed.
Why study a Master in Pedagogy and Education in Rotterdam?
- The structure of the programme allows students to put theory into practice.
- Intensive interaction between lecturers and students, small classes and accessible teachers.
What is this specialisation about?
The specialisation Educational Sciences addresses the main issues that are currently relevant in education: educational innovations, assessment and testing and the growing diversity in pupils’ backgrounds. The starting point in our programme is the idea that successful solutions are always based on analyses at the micro-level (which is, in this case, the pupil), the meso-level (which applies to the learning environment and the school) and the macro-level (referring to societal trends and educational policy). The programme uses cases and issues from practice which will be solved in small groups.
You will deepen your research skills through an advanced module in methodology and statistics. This will prepare you for your internship, your research project on the basis of which you will write your Master's thesis, and eventually your career.
"The interesting thing about the content of this Educational Sciences Master’s programme is that it links societal issues with processes in the classroom and individual pupil’s learning."
Professor Dr Sabine Severiens
Coordinator of the programme
About Erasmus University
Welcome to the highly-ranked Erasmus University Rotterdam (EUR), a research university located in the city of Rotterdam, the Netherlands. EUR offers 13 selective bachelors, and more than 50 top master programmes, taught in English.
Erasmus University traces its origins back to 1913 as an institute known for its leading economists. Since then, the university has become internationally recognised for its distinct social orientation in education and research. Our 26,000+ students come from more than 100 countries around the world.
Erasmus University Rotterdam. Make it happen.
Career opportunities for Master Educational Sciences
Do you aim to work in the field of education? There are good opportunities in the current labour market for educational professionals who know how to tackle complex educational problems.
After graduation you are able to:
- Implement intervention programmes for children, families, and schools, and test the effectiveness of these programmes;
- Contribute to educational innovation and educational policy-making, with a focus on diversity and urban problems;
- Use your knowledge of and skills in child/youth development, parenting, and education to collaborate with professionals in the field.
Graduates of the Master’s programme Educational sciences will be suitable candidates for a position as a(n):
- Educational researcher in public or private institutions.
- Educational policy-makers in governmental, municipal, or institutional organisations or platforms.
- Curriculum advisor/developer or educational coordinator in schools, at educational counselling services, or in-company training departments of businesses.
- Programme manager in international and national educational platforms.
Please note that the career perspectives can vary based on the country you want to work in. This Master’s programme does not result in obtaining a teaching qualification. The term ‘Education’ in the name of the programme refers to the study of school and classroom management and educational innovations.
- Official CROHO name: Pedagogy and Education
- Programme name: Educational Sciences
- Instruction language: English
- Type: Master
- Duration: 1 year
- Location: Campus Woudestein, Rotterdam
- Tuition fees (2019-2020):
- €2.083 (Statutory fee)
- €11.900 (Institutional fee: EEA/EU students)
- €14.900 (Institutional fee: non-EEA/EU students)
About the School
ESSB is home to a vast diversity of study programmes and scientific disciplines: Public Administration, Pedagogical Sciences, Psychology and Sociology. In addition, the Erasmus University College, IHS ... Read More