Master in Education and Globalisation
Next application period 15th December 2016 to 25th of January 2017.
MA in Education and Globalisation is a full-time two-year international Master's programme. Students major in educational sciences. The central aim of the programme is to develop quality in education and to equip students to exercise socially responsible leadership in complex and diverse societies. The programme emphasises North-South-East-West dialogue and includes studies in international education, interculturalism, globalisation and their effects on various sectors of education.
The programme focuses on ethics, policy, planning, curriculum, evaluation and comparative research in education. It aims to develop the appropriate competencies and knowledge needed in planning, evaluation, research and development tasks in education and related fields in the midst of societal changes, both on the local and global levels.
The curriculum includes the full programme structure and all the course descriptions with learning outcomes.
The students major in Educational Sciences. The programme also includes a minor subject and an internship period which can be implemented in Finland or internationally in a variety of different settings such as intergovernmental agencies, non-governmental organisations or educational institutions. One third of the programme involves acquiring research tools, conducting research and writing a Master’s thesis in a collaborative and multicultural research environment.
Members of our teaching team come from various backgrounds and all of them have a lot of international experience. In addition to the lecturers from the Faculty of Education at the University of Oulu, there will be experts from various educational and other institutions, both from Finland and abroad, teaching in the programme. Studies offer students the latest research and professional knowledge in the area of education.
Studies also include visits to different institutions in order to provide examples of good practice, and opportunities to combine theory and practice as the EdGlo students are required to carry out an internship period. Over the years our students have been working in a variety of organisations in Finland and abroad.
After completing the programme, students are awarded a Master of Arts (Education) degree which enables them to continue their academic studies at doctoral level. This degree does not constitute a formal teaching qualification.
Master of Arts (Education)
Compulsory Language, Communication and Orientation Studies
5 ECTS credits
- Orientation to the Finnish culture and educational system 3 ECTS
- Students with mother tongue other than Finnish: Introduction to the Finnish language 2 ECTS; Students with Finnish as their mother tongue: Language studies 2 ECTS (depending on previous studies): Second official language, Swedish or Other language studies
Compulsory Advanced Studies in Educational Sciences
80 ECTS credits
Compulsory Minor Subject Studies
25 ECTS credits
- Studies in Education: minor subject 'Education in Transition' 25 ECTS or other minor studies 25 ECTS
Compulsory Elective Studies
10 ECTS credits
- Freely selected by students, 10 ECTS
Students can select their minor subject on the basis of their previous studies, thesis topic or personal interest. Students with no background in Education must select 'Education in Transition' as their minor subject.
Total for the degree is 120 ECTS credits
EdGlo Students and Alumni
Over the years (2006-2015) we have had 170 students from 56 different countries. Please, read the EdGlo student stories to get an idea of what it feels like to study in a multicultural student group and live in Oulu.
Find out more about EdGlo students and alumni in Statistics (2015) and our webpages for current students. You can find us also on Facebook: edglounioulu and on Twitter: EdGloUniOulu.
Graduates of the programme will be able to
- make informed and ethical decisions in complex and diverse education environments in local and global contexts
- relate and work ethically and productively in partnership with diverse individuals, groups, families, communities
- show cross-cultural competence, seeing linguistic/cultural/ethnic/gender difference as a source of learning
- introduce multiple perspectives into their professional activities and research and engage with different knowledges/cultures in ethical ways
- use information technology to enhance teaching and research in informed and critical ways
- produce and use research that is robust and relevant to national and international debates in education
- exercise leadership in the field of policy, planning and evaluation in educational contexts
Future Career Opportunities
The professional foundations of the programme are related to tasks in research, planning, administration and teaching in the field of education, and also tasks in different organizations offering consultation and guidance.
EdGlo graduates are competent to work in national and international contexts in the public, private and civil society sectors, in occupations such as:
- project leaders
- educational consultants
EdGlo studies include opportunities to combine theory and practice as the students are required to carry out an internship period. Over the years our students have been working in a variety of organisations in Finland and abroad.
Research group closely connected to EdGlo is Education, Diversity, Globalisation and Ethics (EDGE).
This school offers programs in:
Last updated June 29, 2017