The Nova SBE Masters in Economics provides a unique learning experience that combines state-of-the-art theoretical and empirical techniques with a hands-on approach to real-life policy issues. The program is focused on the development and acquisition of the tools required for applied policy analysis, including econometric and numerical software, as well as modern econometric techniques for the evaluation of policy interventions.
The program is notable for the close interaction students have with teachers, participation in research projects and fieldwork in Portugal and abroad, as well as the possibility to take part in exciting consulting projects.
Through a careful balance of mandatory courses, electives, specializations, skill modules and international tracks, the program has been carefully designed to ensure that students learn by doing, whilst also providing them with the essential concepts and skills required to succeed in the field, both during their studies and in the working world after graduation.
- Microeconomic Analysis
- Macroeconomic Analysis
- Microeconometrics or Macroeconometrics
- STATA Module
- Advanced Industrial Organization
- Behavioral Economics and Finance
- Competition Policy
- Development Economics
- Economic Regulation
- Economics of Agriculture and Environment
- Economics of Education
- Economics of Health and Healthcare
- Empirical Macroeconomics
- Environmental Policy
- European Economy
- Financial Crisis in History
- Fiscal Policy and Stabilization
- Game Theory
- Global Energy Markets
- Globalization and Governance
- History of Economic Analysis
- International Trade
- Labor Economics
- Macroeconomic Theory
- Numerical Methods and MatLab
- Policy Evaluation
- Political Economy
- Poverty: Concepts and Challenges
- Public Finance
- Seminar on Current Economic and Financial Issues
- Sustainable Growth
- Tools for Applied Policy Analysis
Language of instruction
The Masters in Economics is delivered entirely in English, including exams, class work, support materials and Work Projects.
By graduation, students pursuing an international track should be fluent in two languages (including mother tongue) and functional in a third.
Students must complete a Masters Work Project, which is equivalent to a Masters Thesis. This can be developed in the following ways:
- Directed Research: an original piece of work on a topic proposed and supervised by a professor. This may also take the form of a case study.
- Internship: an internship where students develop a project in a problem-solving format for a company, in response to a pre-defined question/problem raised by the host organization and under the supervision of a Nova faculty member. Students may apply for internships offered by Nova or obtain one directly from a company via their own contacts.
The first steps towards a global career
Nova SBE Masters students enter with career aspirations and emerge with a career trajectory, supported all along the way by the school. To assist them in this process, Nova proposes the “Mastering Your Career” - a career development program, which helps students set professional and personal goals, acquire the skills to attain them and benefit from the network and brand recognition of Nova SBE in the marketplace.
- Asset Management/Private Banking
- Consulting & Auditing
- International Organisations & Institutions
- Research & Education
Most popular jobs
- Research Departments of Banks and Central Banks
- Business/Economics Consulting
- Regulatory Agencies
- Commercial Banking
- Academic Career
- Social Sector/Aid Development
- Academic Background: Candidates from any Bachelor program. Candidates with limited quantitative skills may need to complete bridging courses in August.
- Languages: Candidates are encouraged to provide evidence of English language proficiency at level B2. No knowledge of Portuguese is required.
- Professional Experience: Professional experience is NOT a requirement to be admitted. Candidates with more than 2 years of professional experience should consider applying for an MBA.
- Age: Under 26 years old.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated May 2, 2018