- Master in Economics: Development Economics
- Master in Economics: Global Challenges
- Master in Economics: International and Macroeconomic Policy
- Master in Economics: Labor and Health
- Master in Economics: Public Policy
Become an all-round economist
The Master's in Economics is a high-quality one-year program. The first part of the program consists of three compulsory core courses focusing on the foundations of the discipline at an advanced level. You also take three elective courses that can be combined into a specialization. Two pieces of independent academic work, a research project, and a final thesis complete the program requirements. Thanks to the compact, personal nature of the program there is plenty of interaction with the teaching staff.
The program is highly esteemed by its students and is one of the top Economics programs in the Netherlands.
To break it down:
- The core of the program prepares you for any career in Economics and consists of:
- Introduction to Econometrics
- Applied Econometrics
- Intermediate Microeconomics
- Advanced Microeconomics
- Advanced Macroeconomics
- Research project
- In addition, you’ll take three electives, chosen from:
- Economics of Climate Change
- Economics of the Welfare State
- Globalization, Growth, and Development
- Industrial Organization and Competition Policy
- Macroeconomic Policy in the EU
- Microeconomics for Development
- Macro and International Finance
- Data Analytics for Economists
The electives and the topic of your thesis determine your specialization within the program. The four specializations are determined below.
You may choose to select one elective from outside of the program, upon prior approval from the examination board.
- You’ll conduct a research project that will allow you to apply your newly acquired knowledge and skills, as well as preparing you to write your Master’s thesis.
- You’ll write a Master’s Thesis on the topic of your choice, in consultation with your advisor.
If you choose to specialize in a particular area of Economics, your choice of electives and thesis topics becomes more focused.
The start date of this program is September 1st.
About the School
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam is an internationally renowned research university founded in 1880. The university offers over 175 English taught programmes at Bachelor’s, Master’s and PhD level to over ... Read More