The master's programme in Econometrics and Operations Research at the VU Campus offers you an opportunity to develop your quantitative skills for their use in Finance, Marketing, Economics and Business.
Econometrics and Operations Research opens a window to a complicated world that provides insights on which people, businesses and governments base their decisions. Econometrics is the science and art of using statistical methods to analyze financial, marketing and economic data, nowadays often Big Data. Operations Research is the science and art of making better decisions in economics, management and finance using mathematical methods.
- Econometric Theory
Explore and master the active research field of econometrics
- Financial Econometrics
Study the econometric methods used on a daily basis in the financial industry, and become the quantitative financial specialist
- Marketing Data Science
Learn how data science can improve marketing strategies and gain a quantitative edge in the e-commerce of tomorrow
- Quantitative Economics
Explore the intersections of economics and econometrics; the crossroads of applied econometrics, microeconomics, macroeconomics and macrofinance
Operations Research specializations
- Operations Research Theory
Study at the frontiers of science: become a game changer for industry practice
- Supply Chain Management
Shaping supply chain networks in an interconnected world
- Financial Engineering
Become the expert on analyzing and designing financial products
Holding a Master’s degree in Econometrics and Operations Research will give you excellent prospects for employment. You will be able to choose from career opportunities that are both exciting and varied. Econometricians find employment in the national policy research departments at planning agencies and government ministries, at financial institutions such as banks and insurance companies, and at business consultancy firms. Operations Researchers can be found in a range of industries, including logistics, innovative software development, transport and distribution, manufacturing and consultancy.
Rather than taking up a career in industry, you might wish to indulge your academic ambitions further by applying to study for a Ph.D. in Econometrics, Operations Research, Quantitative Economics, Finance or Applied Mathematics.
Admission requirements Master's program Econometrics and Operations Research
- Students with a Bachelor's degree that provides a thorough knowledge in mathematics and statistics (such as Econometrics, Mathematics, Management Science, Operations Research, Computer Science, Physics, Industrial Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Quantitative Economics) should have passed courses on Linear Algebra, Mathematical Analysis, Probability Theory and Statistics at the level mentioned on the prerequisites page of the faculty's website (Masterprograms>Econometrics>entry requirements).
- Furthermore, the candidate should have sufficient knowledge of the specific topics of the selected subprogram Econometrics or Operations Research respectively. The required level is indicated by the listed books on the prerequisites page. In case of deficiencies, it is your responsibility to acquire this knowledge, a possibility being to follow the core courses from the final Bachelor year Econometrics and Operations Research before commencing the master program.
- Experience in programming in C/C++, Java, Matlab or a similar computer language.
- An excellent command of English. If English is not the student's native language, there are two acceptable ways to demonstrate English proficiency:
- hold a degree from an institution at which English is the language of instruction
- a score of at least 580 on the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) test (237 on the computer-based test) (with a TWE score of 4.5), or an average of 6.5 on the IELTS (International English Language Testing System) test.
About the School
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam is an internationally renowned research university founded in 1880. The university offers over 150 English taught programmes at Bachelor’s, Master’s and PhD level to 23,00 ... Read More