MASTERS IN DEVELOPMENT MANAGEMENT AND PRACTICE
BRAC Institute of Governance and Development received a grant from the MacArthur Foundation in 2009 to establish a professional master degree in development practice. The program was launched in January 2011 for the first time in Bangladesh seeking proper approval from University Grants Commission (UGC).
MDMP is an innovative, cross-disciplinary, graduate program that combines classroom teaching on the latest advances in development theory and practice with hands-on field experience. The program has been developed in collaboration with the Earth Institute at Columbia University, USA and belongs to the Global Network of Master’s in Development Practice.
Course Description & Structure
This is a daytime 42 credit program. The duration of the program is 16 months including field internship. Students are required to take 42 credits to fulfill the requirements for the Masters in Development Management and Practice (MDMP) program. These include three Foundation courses (1 credit each), twelve core courses (3 credits each), and a field internship with a written report (3 credits).
- MDP 311: Basic Economics
- MDP 312: Basic Development Economics
- MDP 313: Basic Statistics
- MDP 620: Sustainable Agricultural Practice
- MDP 621: Poverty, Livelihoods, Food and Nutrition Security
- MDP 622: Urbanization, Urban Dynamics, and Development
- MDP 623: Environment and Climate Change: Introduction, Adaptation, and Mitigation
- MDP 624: Governance and Public Policy for Sustainable Development
- MDP 625: Sustainable Livelihood – Concepts, Institutions, and Policies
- MDP 626: Health Development and Health System Management
- MDP 627: Management I (Program Management for Sustainable Development: Processes and Practices)
- MDP 628: Development Research: Concepts, Methods, and Applications
- MDP 629: Global Issues in Sustainable Development
- MDP 630: Management II (Financial and Social Performance Management for Sustainable Development)
- MDP 631: Communication, Negotiation, and Leadership for Sustainable Development
- MDP 690: Field Internship
An undergraduate degree in any discipline from a recognized university with a minimum second division or CGPA 2.5 at all levels is required. Candidates need to appear for a written test and an interview.
These requirements may be relaxed for a candidate who has done a postgraduate certificate or diploma course or who has at least 6 years of job experience in addition to a Bachelors degree and passes an assessment test, subject to the approval of the BRACU Academic Council.
About the School
BRAC University (BRACU) was established in 2001. It follows a liberal arts approach to education which nurtures fresh ideas and gives new impetus to the field of tertiary education. It ensures a high ... Read More