An approach to design and innovation, sustainability and creativity through new materials. An experimental and transdisciplinary course that values the design of materials as an innovative work area.
ELISAVA Barcelona School of Design and Engineering","author_url":"","source":"©ELISAVA Barcelona School of Design and Engineering"}" />
- Qualification: Master in Design Using New Materials, own title issued by the Pompeu Fabra University (UPF)
- Direction: Laura Clèries
- Language: English
- ECTS credits: 60
- Field trip: 5-day workshop in a European city. Travel and accommodation costs not included.
- Duration: October 2020 to July 2021; Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, 17: 00-21: 15.
- Place: The Master is taught at ELISAVA and Materfad (Barcelona Design Hub).
- Price: October 2020: € 11,000 (+ € 450 pre-registration)
- Access and admission requirements: Official university degree or equivalent to Design, Engineering, Architecture or Art.
Can materials define how our future is built? In the Master in Design through New Materials you will learn about new materials to create new opportunities.
We are surrounded by materials; and the materials are, today, the focus of innovation. For this reason they generate an impact not only in the industry, but also in society and even in its cultural values. Materials are no longer finalized at the end of the design process, but are part of its early development. Furthermore, consumers pay more attention to the materials they surround themselves with, are much more literate and interested in material innovation than ever before. Materials-based innovation enables the development of new industries, the search for more sustainable solutions and the implementation of more creative design processes.
In this context, the Master in Design using New Materials aims to generate a new generation of "specialists in material design" in transdisciplinary fields and to provide practical knowledge and an active command of new materials as agents in innovation. This Master unites rigorous and applied university knowledge in design through materials ( ELISAVA ) with the innovation of industrial materials (Materfad, center for materials innovation and library), and takes place in Barcelona, headquarters of social and technological innovation.
Reflecting its international spirit, the course includes a workshop abroad at a selected European design studio or materials center, up-to-date information from the leading international design experts promoted by materials, and a network of leading centers and industries in innovation related to materials. The contents of the Mastery and its methodology allow you to experience both the theory of materials and the practical workshops; Imagine innovation from research to industry, from speculative projects to applied projects, and adopt a scientific, creative and multidisciplinary attitude in the field.
The professional orientation of the Master in Design using New Materials allows textile designers, product designers, engineers, architects or interior designers to produce a Final Master's Project, on a business basis or for an industrial partner, that generates a new material, a new product collection or a new architectural project with a focus on materials, sustainability, innovation, creativity and solutions inspired by the near future.
“… In the near future there will be a growing need for designers who can work with different types of materials. For example, the design field of bamboo architects is beginning to be quite promising, as the western world embraces the possibilities of working with a weight-bearing material that can grow 90 cm in 24 hours and can be folded, laminated, bond and scrape, as Asia has done. "
"... The smart mix of fabrics (for increased comfort) and plastics and metals (for structure and function) would have significant benefits for health and sports products." FastCoDesign
- Generate a new generation of "material design specialists" in transdisciplinary fields.
- Train professionals from new creative ways of creating and communicating.
- Prepare professionals for the new opportunities that arise from the consolidation of materials and related technologies as drivers of innovation.
- Train professionals in the development of projects with social, environmental and technological concerns.
- Analyze future sociocultural scenarios and contextualize new materials in a global context.
- Select and apply materials, technologies and manufacturing processes in the design and specific nature of development processes.
- Acquire the skills for the ideation of utilities of new materials.
- Evaluate sustainability and environmental impact aspects of materials for industrial applications.
- Experiment with new materials and related technologies to produce new material applications, new material developments, or new material languages.
- Generate families of color and ornaments, as well as materials in the languages applied to the brand and market placement.
- Generate a healthy narrative and strategy to successfully position a material within the market or sector.
- Recognize the potential of new business models associated with the materials and related technologies that are generated.
About the School
ELISAVA Barcelona School of Design and Engineering is a university center founded in 1961 and it is the oldest school of design in Spain. ELISAVA is among the 100 best schools of design and architectu ... Read More