Learn the theoretical knowledge and practical skills necessary to analyze big data for functional application in business and technology.
Demand for data scientists who can glean insights from the wealth of information made available through modern technologies to aid in informed decision-making is on the rise. The data science master’s program at Stevens instills the theoretical knowledge and practical skills required for dealing with the contemporary collection, exploration, analysis, and modeling of data along with the related challenges pertaining to inference and prediction.
This interdisciplinary program prepares students for careers in fintech, business intelligence and analytics, academia, and database management, as well as government positions requiring strong skills in data analysis. Students will analyze complex data, including large scale databases, and apply state-of-the-art modeling and visualization techniques. They will participate in simulations of cyber attacks and create effective defense strategies, as well as study, in depth, the algorithms and optimization schemes underlying the latest business analytics methods.
The Stevens Advantage
Poised on the Hudson River, just 15 minutes away from downtown Manhattan, Stevens is located near the heart of one of the world’s biggest technology hubs. Proximity to New York City offers Stevens students recruitment opportunities with some of the biggest names in business and technology, including Google, Amazon, Microsoft, and Bloomberg.
- Flexible curriculum
- Interdisciplinary program
- 4 optional concentrations
- Research credit available
- Thesis and non-thesis options
- Fundamentals of Data Science
- Data Acquisition and Management
- Data Security
- Business Applications
Who Should Apply?
We welcome applicants who have a keen mind for data analysis and a solid mathematical and/or computer science background. You can apply with an undergraduate degree in mathematical sciences or computer science. Specific prerequisites consist of:
- Calculus with level comparable to MA 227 Multivariable Calculus
- Linear algebra with level comparable to MA 232 Linear Algebra
- Probability theory with level comparable to MA 222 Probability and Statistics
- Proficiency in programming languages such as Python, R, and MATLAB with level comparable to CS 385 Algorithms
- Bachelor’s degree, with a minimum GPA of 3.0, from an accredited institution
- Official college transcripts
- Two letters of recommendation
- TOEFL/IELTS scores (for international students)
- A competitive GRE or GMAT score*
*GRE/GMAT is not required for part-time students.
Stevens Prepares You for a Great Career
The data science master's program develops in-demand knowledge and skills to put you on track for career success.
- Data Scientist
- Data Analyst
- Network Engineer
- Ai Research Scientist
- Data Analytics Specialist
Top Hiring Organizations
- Bank Of America
- New York University
- Cityblock Health
- Disney Streaming Services
- Two Sigma Investments, Llc.
About the School
Seven thousand students, 300 faculty. One jewel of a campus, beside one amazing city, in a top-3 college town. Countless ideas. Infinite questions. And answers that matter. This is Stevens.