Through this program, students will acquire the scientific and technological skills towards a data scientist profile within a computer science degree. With case studies and an internship, they will also gain methodological and practical experience in conducting a high-level innovative process in the field of data science.
Data science is a major scientific and technological area of computer sciences, founded on the fields of data analysis, machine learning, and databases. It leads to produce methods and technologies to enable data-driven progress in these social, scientific and economic activities.
- Develop core scientific competencies, practical and methodological skills on data usage.
- Understand how data science applies to industry and be aware of its social, economic and scientific impact.
- Conduct a research or development project in the data analysis domain.
Data science is an academic curricular of the Computer science Master's Degree. It is a two-year degree (M1 + M2) but only the second year (M2 Data science) is accessible at Polytech Nantes.
Prerequisites for enrolment
- Applicants should hold a degree which validates at least 4-years in higher education (equivalent to Bac +4 in France), in the field of computer science.
For international students, the current program is a one-year program, where successful applicants enter directly the second year.
They are expected to have solid foundations in the following fields:
- Mathematics (statistics, probability, and optimization)
- Relational databases (theory and practice)
- Software development (e.g Python, R, C++, software engineering)
- Report writing
Academic curricular in Data Science (program)
First semester (S9) - (30 ECTS)
- Research methodology and case study
- Conferences and invited courses
- Data economics, law, and ethics
- Data dependencies and data integration
- Visual analytics
- Pattern mining and social network analysis
- Text and sequential pattern mining
- Clustering analysis and indexing
- Classification and representation learning
- Probabilistic graphical models
- Semantic knowledge representation
Second semester (S10) - (30 ECTS)
- Internship - Master's thesis
Business sector or job
The goal of this Master’s program is to train students towards a data scientist profile. The master’s environment should facilitate future involvement in Ph.D. positions in the field or an R&D data scientist position in a company.
- Data scientist
- R & D engineer
- Education and research
Our international master is taught in English in Polytech Nantes (Chantrerie campus).