Through this program, students will acquire the scientific and technological skills towards a data scientist profile within a computer science degree. With case studies and an internship, they will also gain methodological and practical experience in conducting a high-level innovative process in the field of data science.
Data science is a major scientific and technological area of computer sciences, founded on the fields of data analysis, machine learning, and databases. It leads to produce methods and technologies to enable data-driven progress in these social, scientific and economic activities.
- Develop core scientific competencies, practical and methodological skills on data usage.
- Understand how data science applies to industry and be aware of its social, economic and scientific impact.
- Conduct a research or development project in the data analysis domain.
Data science is an academic curricular of the Computer science Master's Degree. It is a two-year degree (M1 + M2) but only the second year (M2 Data science) is accessible at Polytech Nantes.
Prerequisites for enrolment
- Applicants should hold a degree which validates at least 4-years in higher education (equivalent to Bac +4 in France), in the field of computer science.
For international students, the current program is a one-year program, where successful applicants enter directly the second year.
They are expected to have solid foundations in the following fields:
- Mathematics (statistics, probability, and optimization)
- Relational databases (theory and practice)
- Software development (e.g Python, R, C++, software engineering)
- Report writing
Academic curricular in Data Science (program)
First semester (S9) - (30 ECTS)
- Research methodology and case study
- Conferences and invited courses
- Data economics, law, and ethics
- Data dependencies and data integration
- Visual analytics
- Pattern mining and social network analysis
- Text and sequential pattern mining
- Clustering analysis and indexing
- Classification and representation learning
- Probabilistic graphical models
- Semantic knowledge representation
Second semester (S10) - (30 ECTS)
- Internship - Master's thesis
Business sector or job
The goal of this Master’s program is to train students towards a data scientist profile. The master’s environment should facilitate future involvement in Ph.D. positions in the field or an R&D data scientist position in a company.
- Data scientist
- R & D engineer
- Education and research
Our international master is taught in English in Polytech Nantes (Chantrerie campus).
About the School
Université de Nantes has never stopped moving forward. Faced with today’s challenges we constantly reinvent ourselves. In the last 50 years, Université de Nantes has taken training and research to the ... Read More