The MFA Fashion curriculum refines and focuses your individual artistic vision with advanced coursework in design, merchandising textiles, and knitwear. Studio courses hone your knowledge of industry standards, combining design excellence with the mastery of the latest digital tools.
Graduate candidates are guided through a Directed Study which culminates in the production of a fashion collection and portfolio or merchandising project.
MFA Costume Design Unit Requirements
- Major 27 units
- Directed Study 18 units
- Graduate Liberal Arts 12 units
- Electives* 6 units
TOTAL 63 units
*Per director approval
MFA Costume Design Degree Requirements
- Successful completion of Final Thesis Project.
- Minimum 2.0 cumulative GPA.
- A minimum grade of C in all required 63 units.
MFA Costume Design - Program Learning Outcomes
Graduate students will meet the following student performance criteria:
Costume Design Thesis
- Create a body of work that will be built into a portfolio, representing an advanced level of achievement, targeted towards the film industry.
- Conduct research to develop creative concepts and build a visual story.
- Demonstrate a consistent level of design quality from pre-production through the shooting of the film.
- Conduct specific research based on a given script that shows a clear understanding of the costume needs for the story.
- Design costumes that support the needs of the story and characters.
- Communicate design ideas 2-dimensionally using traditional and/or digital media.
- Develop a 2D design concept into fully realized 3D costumes for a produced film.
- Apply advanced 3D design techniques to create clothing to a professional standard.
Collaborate effectively to produce creative projects.
Create a relevant and original portfolio and collateral materials which can be used to market themselves to the industry.
Visit www.academyart.edu to learn more about total costs, median student loan debt, potential occupations and other information. Accredited Member WSCUC, NASAD, CIDA (BFA-IAD, MFA-IAD), NAAB (B.ARCH*, M.ARCH), CTC (California Teacher Credential). Acting degree program is currently not offering online courses. **B.ARCH is currently in candidacy status.
All international students will require a VISA to enter the US and an OPT application to extend their stay after graduation. Selecting a STEM approved program allows for the benefit of being able to apply for an extended 24-month Optional Practical Training (OPT) stay to work in the country after graduation.
The following Academy majors qualify for the 24-month STEM Extension: Advanced Architectural Design; Advertising; Advertising & Branded Media Technology; Animation & Visual Effects; Architecture; Architectural Design; Art Education; Communications & Media Technologies; Game Development; Game Programming; Graphic Design; Graphic Design & Digital Media; Industrial Design; Interior Architecture & Design; New Media & Web Design. For more information on approved STEM programs, how to apply, and more common questions about studying as an international student at the Academy of Art University, visit our Frequently Asked Questions page here.
The program length is based on graduating in normal time.
For more information about our graduation rates, the median debt of students who completed the program, and other important information, please visit our website at, http://www.academyart.edu/disclosures
BY SUBMITTING THIS FORM, I GIVE CONSENT TO ACADEMY OF ART UNIVERSITY TO RECEIVE AUTODIALED AND/OR PRE-RECORDED TELEMARKETING CALLS, AND TEXT MESSAGES, FROM OR ON BEHALF OF ACADEMY OF ART UNIVERSITY AT THE TELEPHONE NUMBER(S) PROVIDED HERE. I UNDERSTAND THAT MY CONSENT IS NOT A CONDITION OF MY RECEIVING SERVICES FROM ACADEMY OF ART UNIVERSITY. ALL CALLS MAY BE RECORDED FOR QUALITY ASSURANCE.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated March 19, 2018