This master's program aims to train leaders with the elements of an integral human development for the 21st century. The essential nucleus of this formation will make it possible to understand that the conflicts we face must be transformed and solved peacefully, because that is the only way to lay the foundations for peace. The combination of these elements allows access to development in all its facets: human development, sustainable and sustainable. For this, our vision supports the notions of the United Nations that peace, human development and the transformation and resolution of conflicts must contain transversally elements related to gender equity and the principle of non-discrimination, be this racial , social, conscience, cult, or other. These statements are considered prerequisites, not only for development but for the survival of the planet. That is why this program addresses these three facets within the four fundamental pillars of the United Nations: Peace, Human Rights, Sustainable Development and the Rule of Law.
The professional who obtains the Master's Degree in Conflict Resolution, Peace and Development will be able to:
- Understand the nature of contemporary international relations in a multilateral and globalized context, including in this context knowledge about the situation in general of those excluded and marginalized human beings from decision making, access to modern resources and technologies and education , all of which prevents the establishment of a sustainable and fair development.
- Master the main elements of the international relations agenda, especially those that are part of the Organization of the United Nations, the OAS and its organizations and associated agencies.
- Prepare graduates to work in the public administration of any state, or in the international system or in NGOs with international and inclusive elements in their agenda.
The graduates of this program are working in NGOs at national and international level, universities, governments, private companies and in their own ventures. Visit Humans of UPEACE to know some of their stories.
- Seminar: Concepts of Security and Disarmament in the International Environment
- Gender, Conflict and Peace
- Negotiation, Resolution and Transformation of Conflicts
- International Criminal Law and Transitional Justice
The University for Peace is characterized by its diversity and multiculturalism. For 2018-2019, we have 174 students from 55 countries (166 women vs. 58 men). As a result, our campus is always full of student activities, most of them organized by the students themselves. In past years, we have had yoga classes, conversation classes in different languages, the celebration of cultural nights (Asian night, Latin night, European night, etc.), as well as institutional activities open to students (Zumba classes, lunches academics, etc.). We invite you to join existing activities and propose those that can enrich our community.
Graduates of UPAZ Master's programs have the ability to understand the nature of contemporary international relations within a multilateral and globalized context, including knowledge about the situation of excluded and marginalized populations of decision-making, access to modern resources and technologies and education. These professionals will know how to master the main elements of the international relations agenda, especially those that are part of the Organization of the United Nations, the OAS and its organizations and associated agencies. Our programs will prepare these professionals to work in the public administration of any State, within the international system or in non-governmental organizations of any kind.
Congratulations for taking the first step towards your year at the University for Peace!
The following documentation is required to complete the admission process. We recommend that you have it on hand before starting to fill your application online.
- Letters of Recommendation (2)
- Official Certification of University Baccalaureate Notes
- University Baccalaureate Diploma (Degree Certificate)
- CV (Curriculum Vitae)
- Financial Responsibility Form
- Copy of Passport (Not applicable for Costa Ricans permanent residents in Costa Rica)
- Passport size photos
If admitted, the following original documents must be delivered personally to the Admissions Office:
- Official certification of University Baccalaureate notes
- Certified copy of the Diploma (Certificate of Degree) of University Baccalaureate
- 6 passport-size photos (in the case of Costa Ricans, they must only provide 2 photographs)
- Start date of classes: August 20, 2020
- Class completion date: June 11, 2021
- End date of the academic period: July 31, 2021
- Deadline to receive admission applications: March 15, 2020
- Program duration: 11 months
About the School
The University for Peace is a higher education institution which offers Master of Arts and Doctorate degrees in the fields of Environment and Development, International Law, and Peace and Conflict Stu ... Read More