Master in Computer Sciences
Neofit Rilski South-West University prepares qualified experts in Informatics that can apply their knowledge and skills in the area of science, culture, education and economics in Bulgaria and abroad.
After completion of Master of Science in Informatics degree they can successfully realize themselves as: programmers, system and network administrators and designers, graphic designers, scientists, experts in hardware and software technologies.
At completion of Master of Science in Informatics degree, students obtain:
- profound knowledge in the area of Informatics;
- good preparation in the area of Informatics and Mathematics as well as solid practical skills conforming to modern European standards and requirements;
- formation of affinity and ability for independent research and design;
- basis for continuing education at PhD degree;
- good opportunities for realizing as experts in Bulgaria or abroad;
- thinking style and affinity to the quickly changing requirements of the information society.
Students completed MSc degree in Informatics have to possess following knowledge, skills and competences:
- to conduct independent research, to model real processes and make computer automation systems for information maintenance;
- to use mathematical models and software packages for solving real economic, engineering and management problems in continuous and discrete macrosystems;
- to take part in development of program products and packages;
- to adapt and introduce program products and systems;
- to solve various optimization problems.
Students enrolled in this major field of study have to submit diplomas for completed higher education (BSc degree) in Informatics for the 2-semester (1 year) period of study, or diplomas for completed higher education (BSc degree) in the area of Natural Sciences or Engineering for the 4-semester ( 2 years) period of study. Rules and regulations for submitting documents and enrollment are determined by the Faculty of Natural Sciences and Mathematics.
In the 2-semester MSc program, students study the following compulsory courses: Neural networks, Digital Communications, Mathematical modeling of discrete structures and processes, Coding theory and information security, Theory of algorithms, XML programming, and have to choose among the following optional courses: High performance parallel computer systems, Fault-tolerance computer systems, Principles of grid-networks, Design of information systems with client-server architecture, Component-oriented software engineering, Modern modeling and design languages - UML, Knowledge databases, Practical course in server administration, Practical course in aspect-oriented design and programming, Training at IT Company (Institution).
In the 4-semester MSc program, except for above courses, studied in the second year of study, during the first year of study, students have to take exams on the following compulsory preparatory courses: Functional programming, Computer programming and data structures, Discrete mathematics, Computer architectures, Computer networks and communications, Numerical analysis and mathematical optimization, Algorithms in graphs and networks, Databases, Probability and statistics, Practical course in computer programming, and have to choose among the following optional courses: Practical course in databases, Practical course in Perl, Practical course in web design, Combinatorics, coding theory and cryptography, Practical course in combinatorics, coding theory and cryptography, Logical programming, Software engineering.