The Master of Science in Communication Studies: Journalism and Media in Europe takes a critical and interdisciplinary look at the role of journalism and media in European societies. The Master looks at journalism and media from an economic, political-ideological and policy perspective. It pays attention to the impact of recent economic, political and technological developments in journalism and media. The Master zooms in on media and journalism in a European context, looking comparatively at journalism across Europe and at journalism in the context of European integration. It makes optimal use of Brussels with its range of European and international institutions and the many media, journalism and communication professionals working in and around those institutions.
The programme consists of two semesters. It comprises one set of compulsory courses and one set of optional courses. Instead of choosing from the optional courses, students can decide to do an internship.
- Journalism: Trends and Technologies (compulsory)
- Journalism, Politics and Ideology (compulsory)
- The Political Economy of Journalism in the EU (compulsory)
- Brussels Talking: Europe, Media and Society Lecture Series (compulsory)
- Journalism Practice in Europe (compulsory)
- Master Thesis (compulsory)
- Data, Privacy and Society (elective)
- Digital Methods and Innovation (elective)
- European Media Markets (elective)
- Media, Culture and Globalisation Theories (elective)
- Populist and Radical Political Discourses in Europe (elective)
- Influence and Lobbying (elective, at ULB)
Direct access is granted for students with a Belgian academic Bachelor’s degree in Communication Studies.
All other applicants' files will be evaluated by the Admission Board on an individual basis. Applicants with an academic bachelor diploma in a field other than Communication Studies may still be accepted provided they take a few additional courses in the form of a short preparatory programme. This preparatory programme can be followed while starting the Master.
In order to be admitted, applicants must be proficient in English.
HOW TO APPLY
In order to apply, you have to fill in the online application form and upload the required documents before the application deadline.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated November 28, 2018