Why Study "Civil and Environmental Engineering" at the University of Brescia?
- To have sound training in advanced subjects matters in the field of civil and environmental engineering, in the designing of energy-efficient, earthquake-proof and hydrogeologically safe buildings, in the organization and management of the environment and territory and in environmental impact assessments.
- To have the opportunity to attend a Master's Degree Course in Italy offering courses taught in English, that deal with topics from an international perspective.
- To have the opportunity to share the University experience with teaching staff and students from different countries of the world.
- To broaden your career prospects in a rapidly evolving world, with professional activities having more and more of international standing.
"It is so good to see the enthusiasm of students, both Italian and foreigner ones when they open themselves up to an international experience that very often starts as an additional educational opportunity to then evolve into a work experience abroad. We are not looking to facilitate the "brain drain", rather reinforce the international prestige of our students, who are the keys to this project and who will become the leading people of our country."
Maurizio Tira, Rector of the University of Brescia
- Type of Study Program: Master's Degree Program
- Department: Civil, Environmental, Architectural Engineering and Mathematics
- Degree Program Class: LM-35 –Master’s Degrees in Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Duration in years: 2
- Credits: 120
- Place of teaching: Brescia
- Type of access: three-year university degree or diploma, or other recognized and approved qualification obtained abroad.
- Language: English
- Teaching method: Traditional
- Attendance: Optional
- Location: Engineering campus, 43 Via Branze, Brescia
Civil and Environmental Engineering
- The Master's Degree Course in Civil and Environmental Engineering is a two-year Master's Degree Program, taught entirely in English.
- To be eligible, students should have a three-year Bachelor's Degree (or equivalent) in Civil Engineering or in Environmental Engineering, with a sound background in Calculus, Physics, Chemistry, Fluid mechanics and Structural Mechanics.
- A good English proficiency is required (CEFR B2).
- Student exchange programs with foreign Universities are available as well as scholarships for foreign students (call open in spring).
- The course offers the opportunity, according to the choices available in the study plan, to channel preparation more towards the civil area or environmental area of engineering.
- The course is organized over two academic years and foresees the acquisition of a total of 120 credits divided among specific subjects, related and additional subjects chosen by the student, as well as final exam preparation activities.
- The Master's Degree in Civil and Environmental Engineering is offered at the Department of Civil, Environmental, Architectural Engineering and Mathematics.
The Master’s Degree Course in Civil and Environmental Engineering is structured in order to provide interdisciplinary advanced knowledge and comprehension in the principal areas of civil, environmental and land engineering and, specifically, to prepare students for:
- the design and management of hydraulic and land defense works, water and waste treatment systems, urban and rural transport systems and environmental surveys, urban regeneration and the restoration of built-up areas;
- the design and management of urban and land planning, programming and design on different scales, as well as the assessment of technological plans, projects, and systems;
- high-level technical-administrative and technical-commercial management within Public Administration, enterprises, public and private bodies, and professional firms.
Expected learning outcomes
Graduates of the Master's Degree Program shall, in particular, be able to work in contexts characterized by high levels of international interaction, such as companies with branches in different countries, major professional contracts abroad, projects funded by EU Structural Funds, etc.
The Master's Degree in Civil and Environmental Engineering is thus established as a pathway of excellence intended to train engineers who are preparing to compete on the global job market with specific expertise bridging the traditional skills of civil and environmental engineering.
The course in numbers
- The course has been activated in the Academic Year 2015/16.
- Since its activation, the number of enrollments is stable and equal to 21 for each academic year.
- 15 new Italian students and 6 new foreign students enrolled in the Master's Degree Course in Civil and Environmental Engineering in 2017.
- Up to now, 19 students have graduated.
Compared to the other Master's degree courses of the same class at the national level and in the geographical area of North-West Italy, the Master's Degree in Civil and Environmental Engineering of the University of Brescia is distinguished by various aspects. In particular:
- the relatively limited number of students of this course ensures a more direct relationship between teacher and students and therefore a better education,
- the high percentage of students who graduate within the normal duration of the course.
Data on employment are still not available at the moment, given the recent activation of the course.
- In order to enroll in the Master's Degree Program in Land and Environmental Engineering, applicants must hold a three-year university degree or diploma, or other recognized and approved qualification obtained abroad.
- Admission to the study program is subject to possession of curricular requirements and an assessment of the adequacy of the applicant's personal preparation.
- To know the Requirements for admission to the degree course and admission and verification methods, please read the document: "Teaching Regulations for the Master's Degree in Civil and Environmental Engineering" on our website.
Employment and professional opportunities for Graduates
Functions in a work environment:
The main functions of the professional figure are:
- the freelance profession as a senior engineer, with tasks of designing and coordination in planning, designing, and management;
- employees of public institutions, with managerial function;
- employees of private corporations and institutions, with managerial function.
- design and management of hydraulic and land defense works, of sanitary-environmental systems, of urban and extra-urban transport systems and of environmental surveying;
- designing and management of planning, programming and urban and territorial designing at different scales, as well as programming and designing of plans, projects, and technological systems;
- design and management of building renovation, of both historical evidence and even recent low-quality construction, and of urban regeneration at different scales;
- high-level technical-administrative and technical-commercial management with public administrations, companies, public and private institutions, and professional offices.
The career opportunities for the graduates from the Master's Degree Program in Civil and Environmental Engineering are as follows:
- planning and management of hydraulic works and engineering works for the defense of the territory, environmental health systems, urban and extra-urban transport systems, and environmental surveys, to be carried out both independently and an in an innovative way;
- supervision in the field of urban and territorial planning, programming and design, at different levels, as well as the assessment of plans, projects, and technological systems;
- design and management of renovation works, addressing both historical landmarks and modern low-quality buildings, as well as urban regeneration at different levels;
- high-level, technical-administrative and technical-commercial supervision within public administration, companies, public and private bodies, and professional firms.
The course prepares for the profession of senior engineer, qualification achievable only after passing the state exam and registering in section B of the professional register.
In particular, it qualifies for the professions of (ISTAT (Italian National Institute of Statistics) codifications):
- Hydrologists - (188.8.131.52.5)
- Construction and environmental engineers - (184.108.40.206.1)
- Hydraulic engineers - (220.127.116.11.2)
- Planners, landscape designers and recovery specialists conservation of the territory - (18.104.22.168.2)
- Researchers and technicians graduated in civil engineering and architecture sciences - (22.214.171.124.1)
About the School
The University of Brescia is an important university in a city of art and culture with an excellent quality of life, in one of the most important industrial and productive regions in Italy. The Univer ... Read More