The programme will focus on the issues of urban planning and management using new city models and technologies. It will be led by international and Russian scholars and experts who are forming the current agenda for smart city development in Russia and worldwide.
The key principle of the programme is learning by doing. The programme will take place in a laboratory-type environment where students will try new technology, prepare prototypes, investigate and analyse the city through data, and develop projects that come as a relevant response to complex problems that affect modern cities.
The programme invites architects, designers, engineers, economists, entrepreneurs and graduates interested in the management of cities and technologies. The skills acquired during the programme will provide the graduates with a variety of career opportunities in large technological companies, city administrations or their own innovative businesses.
About the programme
The aim is to render the students capable of developing projects related with the Urban Habitat, in all the layers of the City Anatomy, including in the city's physical structure (environment, infrastructure and urbanism), urban services and informational fuxes, the social relationships and governance of information technologies in all the phases of analysis, project and management of the city.
PROTOTYPE PROJECT METHODOLOGY
The strategy is that the students learn to develop prototype projects applicable in any aspect that relates to the city, starting with their capacity to analyses data, to integrate appropriate technology and design proposals that will change the current reality, which also includes the proposal of an economical model that is managed accordingly.
Project = Analysis + Technology+ Design + Fabrication + Implementation
The program takes place in a network laboratory type of environment, where the students work in a very close and hand-on relationship with technology, preparing prototypes, investigation and analysis of the city through data, while developing projects that come as a relevant response to the particular problems that affect the city.
In the end, the student will have the skills developed by the various areas of study that he has undertaken, thus able to tackle any kind of project. To achieve this, the students will have to work both individually, in order to further develop their own skills, but also in collaborative group projects, either remotely or physically, with other universities or cities in which the Master in City and Technology is active.
The Master in City and Technology program is directed to:
- Professionals from different fields related with the city and urbanity, interested in amplifying their technical and project based knowledge spectrum, with the aim of learning about more advanced technologies and tools that can be applicable on city scale projects;
- City managers, interested in understanding the full potential of information technology in order to optimize the efficiency of their cities or implementing new principles that affect a cities performance;
- Private sector workers in the field of developing, maintaining and/or managing a city and its urban services, interested in integrating information technology in the process of their work;
Experts in the field of information technology interested in the performance of a city with the end goal of developing new application implementable at an urban scale.
The master programme «City an Technology» aims to train its students in the following:
- The capacity to understand and evaluate the functions of a city from the starting points of data and rational information.
- The capacity to create physical prototypes of whichever technology with the starting point of digital fabrication and its various components and implementations.
- The ability to analyze and evaluate the economical and social environment of a city and manipulate that in a positive manner
- The capacity to develop urban projects of transformation through physical designs and/or international platform
- The ability to work in teams of international and multi-disciplinary members.
Applications are welcomed from any graduate or young professional holding a degree in:
- Design, architecture or urban planning,
- Data analysis,
The programme is oriented at young professionals with interdisciplinary and international professional experience. Applicants with no specific work experience will be evaluated on the basis of their motivation and analytical skills. We therefore invite you to give considerable thought to your letter of motivation. Recommendation letters will also be considered during the admission procedure. Finally, English proficiency is an important criterion for success in MA City and Technology.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated January 26, 2017