This career counseling program provides students with knowledge in career counseling and management of career development in a multicultural environment of education and employment.
- Knowledge of career development, counseling and communication theories, career service management and different types of career development in organizations;
- Understanding of professional ethics in counseling communication, the latest trends in employment and job search, social integration and intercultural aspects;
- The opportunity to develop and strengthen the skills of communication of counseling process as well as the skills of IT in career counseling and research skills, where research methods are applied;
- The opportunity to arouse interest in research activities and to have practical training in the presentation of research results.
The full-time degree program covers 2 academic years. In the 1st year, general skills and abilities for career counselors in different types of educational and employment institutions are acquired, practices in an investigation of counseling fields and observation of counseling process are carried out. The 2nd year focuses on specific and common professional skills in career counseling, application of these skills in two practices of counseling and counseling research. The study program is completed with the defense of a masters thesis.
The studies are based on a dynamic and innovative knowledge provided by experienced knowledgeable and responsive academic staff as well as an open and friendly study environment. The programme offers you practical solutions how to organize and manage the career counseling process of education and employment sectors.
Applicants with the Bachelor‘s degree of education sciences in pedagogy or Bachelor‘s degree of social sciences in psychology or the psychologist‘s qualification or applicants with completed second-level professional higher education and the teacher‘s qualification are approved for admission to the program.
Applicants must be able to present good English knowledge (IELTS score 6.0, TOEFL score 547, TOEFL-iBT score 76).
Career prospects and further studies
Educational and leadership positions in career counseling institutions, adult education, career and counseling centers, government institutions in the education sector. Students may also choose to continue studies in a respective Doctoral study program at universities of Latvia or abroad.
- Career Development Theories
- Communication Theories in Counselling
- Career Service Management
- Investigation of Counselling Fields (practice)
- Human Life Cycles
- Employment and Job Searching I
- Employment and Job Searching II
- Social Inclusion and Multiculturalism
- Organizational Culture
- Legislation in Career Support System
- Professional Ethics of Career Counsellor
- Observation of Counselling (practice)
- Theory and Methodology of Career Counselling I
- Theory and Methodology of Career Counselling II
- IT in Career Counselling
- Counseling (practice)
- Methodology of Scientific Research
- Counselling and Research (practice)
- Master Thesis
Total: 120 ECTS
This school offers programs in:
Last updated December 23, 2017