After having successfully completed this course, students will be able to pursue the following jobs and tasks:
- Environmental consulting and risk assessment.
- Development and implementation of biotechnology solutions.
- Project Manager and Multidisciplinary Team Manager.
- Creation and management of biotechnology companies.
- Teaching biotechnology, biomedicine and environmental technology, as well as doing research in those fields.
The University of Oviedo has signed agreements with the Université de Pau et des Pays de l'Adour (France), the Instituto Tecnológico de Monterrey (Mexico) and the Universitá di Bologna (Italy), and the University of Cranfield (UK) enabling students who comply with the provisions of the corresponding agreement to obtain a double degree. These international itineraries offer students the possibility of specializing in different aspects related to Biotechnology of Environment and Health.
- Université de Pau et des Pays de l'Adour: Environmental Microbiology
- TEC de Monterrey: Biotechnological Engineering
- Universitá di Bologna: Medical biotechnology
COMPULSORY ACTIVITIES(40 ECTS)
- Basic core module. Aimed at giving a deep understanding of the biotechnological tools used in molecular and cellular biology with an emphasis on health environmental applications.
- Genomic and nucleic acid biotechnology(4 ECTS)
- Bacterial biotechnology (4 ECTS)
- Biotechnology of filamentous fungi and yeasts (4 ECTS)
- Animal cell biotechnology(4 ECTS)
- Plant Biotechnology (4 ECTS)
- General module Specific courses aimed at developing communication skills, to provide general knowledge of basic safety procedures in the laboratory, and to introduce students to issues in ethics in biotechnology.
- Professional skills in biotechnology (5 ECTS)
- Laboratory safety (3 ECTS)
- Practicum I (Experimental or professional training) (12 ECTS)
OPTIONAL SUBJECTS(20 ECTS) (minimum of 4 ECTS from each module)
- Basic environmental module. Addresses the study of the main chemical and microbiological contaminants present in the environment as well as the exploitation of microorganisms to protect or restore natural environments from the chemical damage caused by human activities.
- Environmental Microbiology (4 ECTS)
- Biogeochemistry (4 ECTS)
- Biotechnological waste management (4ECTS)
- Ecotoxicology (4 ECTS)
- Analysis and identification of chemical contaminants (4 ECTS)
- Basic health module. Mostly devoted to the study of the main chemical and biological environmental hazards that may directly affect health, with special emphasis on early detection
- Toxicokinetics and toxicodynamics (4 ECTS)
- Epidemiological surveillance (4 ECTS)
- Biotechnology of food and water safety (4 ECTS)
- Special foods and nutraceuticals (4 ECTS)
- Virus biotechnology (4 ECTS)
COMPULSORY ACTIVITIES (44 ECTS)
- Focused on the principles of biotechnology business creation management as well as on advanced studies related to environment and health issues.
- Biotechnology entrepreneurship fundamentals (3 ECTS)
- Selection and evaluation of projects in Biotechnology (3 ECTS)
- Novel approaches for the design of drugs and diagnostics (3 ECTS)
- Ecological footprint of biotechnological production (4 ECTS)
- Practicum II (Experimental or professional training) (6 ECTS)
- Master's thesis(24 ECTS)
OPTIONAL SUBJECTS (16 ECTS) (taking at least one subject from each module)
- Biotechnology management module
Focussed on the legal an social issues of Biotechnology, and the principles of business creation and management
- Biotechnology company management (4 ECTS)
- Legal issues and intellectual property(4 ECTS)
- Advanced health module
Overview of modem techniques, applications or techniques on the frontier with other fields leading to new approaches to health biotechnology.
- Bionanotechnology(4 ECTS)
- Biosensors for the detection of contaminants (4 ECTS)
- Physical environmental factors and disease ((4 ECTS)
- Advanced environmental module
Focused on advanced aspects of environmental biotechnology, with special emphasis on damage evaluation and prevention.
- Conservation of biological resources(4 ECTS)
- Bioremediation(4 ECTS)
- Environmental risk assessment(4 ECTS)
Note: Numbers in parentheses indicate the number of ECTS credits for each subject.
In order to register in an official Master's Degree, it is mandatory to have completed an official degree in Spain or in any higher education institution of a member state of the European Union integrated into the European Higher Education Area (EHEA) that allows students to take a Master's Degree. Students who have obtained their degree outside the EHEA can be admitted as long as the University can verify that these qualifications have a similar level to the corresponding degrees in Spain and they permit graduates to take a Master's Course.
This Master's Programme is specially designed for Graduates in Biotechnology or any other related area such as Biology, Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Pharmacy or Medicine among others; as well as for all professionals who are interested in broadening their knowledge on biotechnological applications related to the environment and health.
Furthermore, candidates must prove that they have an English and Spanish language ability equivalent to level B1 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages since the Master's course will be taught in both languages. Students who wish to benefit from the agreement that the University of Oviedo holds with the Université de Pau et des Pays de l'Adour (France), or from any other Erasmus agreement, will have to prove that they are competent in the language required in each respective agreement.
Students who meet the following requirements will be also admitted to the programme:
- Have training in experimental sciences, in health sciences or in scientific and technical research with significant training in subjects related to chemistry and life sciences.
- Students with a different profile may be considered for admission provided that they complete additional complementary courses (which will be determined on an individual basis).
- Show interest and a favorable attitude towards disciplines with no apparent relation to their degrees. Show an interest in interdisciplinarity and an ability to adapt to heterogeneous professional and human environments.
Double-degree: Students have the possibility to obtain a doublé degree if they complete two semesters in any of the following institutions: Université de Pau et des Pays de l'Adour (Francia), TEC de Monterrey (México), Universitá di Bologna (Italia), University of Cranfield (Reino Unido).
Modality: Attendance required
Schedule: Monday to Friday, from 3:00 pm to 7:00 pm.
Language: English (>70% of the courses)
- Faculty of Biology of the University of Oviedo
- Other universities: Université de Pau et des Pays de l'Adour (France), TEC de Monterrey (Mexico), Universitá di Bologna (Italy), University of Cranfield (United Kingdom).
This school offers programs in:
Last updated May 30, 2018