This program is taught in FRENCH.
The Master’s Degree in Biology of Organisms and Ecology offers highly specialized training to understand current issues in biology and the environment. This program covers a vast range of research fields including management of natural spaces, oceanography, marine biology, anthropology, entomology, ornithology, etc. Emphasis is placed on rigorous foundations in the sciences both in the laboratory and in the field.
Students may choose between three specialized study clusters developed and supported by the scientific work of our research laboratories.
Outline of the program
The Master’s Degree in Biology of Organisms and Ecology offers state-of-the-art training supported by the constant application of learning through internships in companies and/or laboratories in Belgium and abroad. The Institute of Biology at UMONS is involved in international research projects in such fields as marine biology and entomology (pollinating insects), for example.
The master’s thesis is completed during the two years of the program, starting in the middle of the first year and finishing in the second year.
During these two years, students will also have specialized courses to learn how to care for laboratory animals. These courses give rise to a certificate that is required to work with animals in laboratories.
Special attention is given to learning scientific communication in both French and English thanks to research seminars and "Scientific Workshop Training". Students tailor their own curriculum (2/3 of the program is electives) to include a great amount of lab work as well as internships in companies or other academic institutions.
The program includes:
- A common core of 13 ECTS in Master 1 (Bioinformatics, Biostatistics, Proteomics, Physiology, Phylogeny)
- Specialised courses in BOE (25 ECTS)
- Three focuses in Master 2: research-oriented, professional and teaching
- Scientific communication in English (7 ECTS)
- Internships inside or outside of UMONS (18 ECTS)
- The certificate in training as a master experimenter (6 ECTS)
- 8 ECTS credits of electives in Master 2 (Legal Entomology, Oceanography, Biology of Marine Organisms, Management of Natural Spaces, etc.)
- Master's Thesis (27 ECTS) and a pre-thesis internship in Master 1 (8 ECTS)
- Research seminars (8 ECTS)
- Master 60 ECTS possible
Key learning outcomes
At the end of course program, students will be able to:
- reason with the necessary rigor while applying their skills in the various disciplines of biology - from biochemistry to cell biology passing by genetics and molecular biology
- use the experimental approaches and the tools of the biologist in these disciplines
- implement cross-disciplinary skills such as autonomy, rigor, group work, oral presentations
- communicate scientific concepts and analyses through the written and the spoken word in French or in English.
Occupational profiles of graduates
Our graduates who have a Master's Degree in Biology of Organisms and Ecology work in such varied fields as pharmaceutics and biotechnology, police forensics units, academic research, in national or regional research centers, and in higher secondary school.
The holders of a Master’s Degree in Biology of Organisms and Ecology can also be hired in basic or applied science programs if they continue their studies and complete a doctoral dissertation.
Access to further studies
The Biology of Organisms and Ecology Master’s Degree gives access to Advanced Master’s Degrees and Doctoral Studies in the Life Sciences in the European community.
Master’s Degree holders can also register for the higher secondary school teacher certification program.
Mode of study
This school offers programs in:
Last updated February 4, 2018