This master is jointly accredited by Université de Lorraine and by AgroParisTech.
In this Master program, the major “Forests and their environments (FEN)” consists in one semester of courses displayed in English and opened to international students.
Objectives of the program
- Acquire high multidisciplinary training and up-to-date technologies for project management and research activities (communication, experimentation, investigation, data analysis, etc).
- Understand the functioning of perennial plants, of agrosystems and forest ecosystems, from the molecules to landscape, sources of industrial products and ecological services.
- Master the science and the technologies of ecological engineering for the sustainable management of natural environments and agricultural/forest production systems.
- Understand major environmental issues (global changes, biodiversity, wood biomaterials, renewable resources, energy, pollution, sustainable development, etc).
The MSc program is a research-driven approach to the understanding and management of forest ecosystems, providing fundamental and applied knowledge on the organization, functioning and dynamics of forest ecosystems and communities (including tree physiology, biogeochemistry, ecology, genetics) and on the major quantitative tools of ecosystem observation and experiment analysis (GIS, statistics, modelling). Specific emphasis is placed on the interaction between forest ecosystems and their environment, including global change issues.
FEN takes place during the second year of Master (third and fourth semesters of the Master (S9 and S10, including an internship of a duration of >20 weeks), and is opened to students granted after the 1st year of a Master program or equivalent with educational background in the fields of forestry, plant science, ecology, ecophysiology, or environmental science. Applications will be examined by the teaching team. Erasmus students are welcome.
Foreigners can apply to a scholarship of 2500 euros.
All disciplines of M.S. FAGE offer students the possibility to continue their education to the Ph.D. level.
- Faculty of Sciences and Technologies, Université de Lorraine, Vandoeuvre-lès-Nancy
- ENSAIA, Université de Lorraine, Vandoeuvre-lès-Nancy
- AgroParisTech, Nancy
- INRA Center of Nancy, Champenoux
- Agronomical Campus of Kourou, Kourou, French Guyana
- R&D (Research & Development) or environment engineer in companies or technical institutes.
- Project or Research expert in agencies and organizations managing natural areas, consulting agencies, local governments, State departments, international organizations, and Non-governmental organizations.
- Researchers and teachers in universities and research organizations in France and abroad.
Associated skills and know-how
- The M.S. FAGE is a research program with a professional vocation in biological concepts common to forest ecosystems and agrosystems which aims to give students the essential tools for research and management.
- The purpose of the program is also to have students able to integrate the societal demands regarding the applications of each specialization, particularly by considering the issues and the technologies for sustainable development and ecosystem services.
- This program is provided by a hundred teacher-researchers from nine research units of the Université de Lorraine, AgroParisTech and INRA, which contributes significantly to it. External lecturers that work in consulting agencies, local governments, companies, and organizations managing forests and natural areas reinforce the professionalizing dimension of different disciplines of the M.S. FAGE.
Structure of the program
- The M.S. FAGE is organized in four semesters of 30 ECTS: The first year of study (S7 & S8) is dedicated to the reinforcement of fundamental knowledge of the different disciplines of the M.S. and to the acquiring of some indispensable techniques (statistics, communication, English, experimentation, analytical methods).
- During the second semester (S8), students carry out an experimental project tutored for eight weeks by a research team.
- During the third semester (S9), students go further in the knowledge and conduct a literature review on a current scientific topic in the field of their specialization.
- The fourth semester (S10) is a 20-week minimum internship in a company, a community, an association, a research laboratory in France or abroad, followed by a dissertation and its defense.
Each applicant must download the application form of the Master
Documents required for admission:
- Passport (or identity card) and birth certificate
- Degree certificate (Equivalent to 60 ECTS at master level). This document can be sent later if final results or not yet available.
- Statement of purpose (motivation letter)
- English proficiency test results
- Full postal address for all official correspondence
- optional – internship certificates and recommendation letters
Once completed, the file and required documents must be sent to the Office of Education of the Faculty of Sciences and Technologies by email or by post.
The deadline for application is 10th of June 2019.
- Upon receipt of your file, your application will be submitted to the competent committee for advice. The Office of Education will keep you informed about the decision as soon as possible.
- Foreigners can apply to a scholarship of 2500 euros. Apply by downloading the specific form.
NOTE: Incomplete applications will be rejected.
In case you are admitted you will receive a letter of acceptation that will allow you to start the procedure to get a visa (visa D student). Very important: If you are foreigner, not graduated of a French University, and live in one of the following countries: Algeria, Argentina, Benin, Brazil, Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Chile, China, Colombia, Comoros, Congo (Brazzaville), Egypt, Gabon, Guinea, India, Indonesia, Iran, Ivory Coast, Japan, Lebanon, Madagascar, Mali, Mauritania, Mauritius, Mexico, Morocco, Peru, Russia, Senegal, South Korea, Syria, Taiwan, Tunisia, Turkey, USA, Vietnam: You must use the online CEF procedure.
Program taught in: