Master in Bio Inspired Engineering
Learning from nature for engineering - that is the goal of this international Master's degree program (MSc) taught in English. Nature offers a myriad of solutions to engineering problems. Over the course of four semesters, this program focuses on the implementation of numerous nature-inspired innovations into new technologies and sustainable products and offers an exciting overview of all core areas of biomimetics.
Biomimetics is the process of utilizing natural constructions, processes, and developmental principles by transforming them into systemically engineered solutions that - without nature as a role model - we would not usually think of ourselves. While biomimetics as an interdisciplinary research field is still fairly new, it has four billion years of evolutionary mechanism optimization to show for. Considering the vast bio-cosmos' diversity and the complexity behind the necessary adaptations of systems to the environment, the tremendous potential that biomimetics has to offer to deal with the most pressing issues our society currently faces becomes evident. Through the symbiosis of a biological perspective on one hand and a natural science and engineering perspective on the other, this Master's degree program builds a cross-functional bridge founded on the graduate’s core competencies and hands-on experience.
- Holistic high-level training in all areas of biomimetics
- Directly usable and implementable solutions from biology and engineering
- Methodological competence for solving bionic issues
- Overview of sustainable manufacturing technologies for biomimetic products
- Use of biomimetics as a tried-and-tested supplier of ideas and an innovation engine
- Diving into a research area of your individual choice (Master’s Thesis)
- International qualification through a recognized university certificate (MSc)
BENEFITS FOR YOUR COMPANY
- Secure leading innovation in a promising research and technology field through qualified employees
- Increase problem-solving competence and lateral thinking in the Company
- Develop and sustainably support competent experts for innovation in your Company
- Access a global biomimetics network
The challenges that our bio-inspired engineering graduates will be equipped to face, will be as diverse as biomimetics itself. Potential occupational fields include, for example, applied research and development, technical biology, product development and construction, industry and product design, manufacturing engineering and automation technology, innovation management, and (business) consulting.
The bio-inspired engineering Master's program will enable talented and committed students to discover the riches of biomimetics and to use them to develop sustainable engineering solutions to benefit our society. The program ensures a transfer of knowledge from applied basic research to the creation of prototypes through the high proportion of practical exercises.
Through 16 individual course modules worth a total of 120 ECTS (European Credit Transfer System) points, students graduate with the recognized academic title of Master of Science (MSc). The modular program design also allows taking biomimetics focused topic course packages resulting in the award of a package-specific certificate. Investing in such a biomimetics degree or certificate is a sustainable investment in the future of program participants and their companies.
COURSE FOCUS POINTS
- 22% Biomimetics
- 17% Engineering principles for biomimetics
- 15% Biology for engineers
- 15% Specialization/Master’s thesis
- 13% Fablab & rapid prototyping
- 8% Science & innovation
- 6% 3D-Design & optimization
- 4% Analytics
- Cooperation through the Fab Academy with international institutes, such as the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)
- Close cooperation with the Center for Rapid Innovation (Fablab of the Workshop Wattens)
- Expedition to the “Rainforest of the Austrians” in Costa Rica (elective)
- E-learning components supplemented with the integration of new learning methods, such as massive open online courses (MOOCs)
- Internationally renowned lecturers
- Numerous lab exercises: analysis, 3D-design, simulation, programming, and rapid prototyping
- Scholarship program for the promotion of students
- Separate certificate modules for specialists
TARGET GROUPS AND ACCESS REQUIREMENTS
The degree program is aimed at students with a technical-science background and field-specific job experience of at least three years. Participants may come from the following fields: applied research and development, technical biology, innovation management, product development and construction, industry and product design, manufacturing engineering, and (business) consulting.
Admission requirements for both the Master's degree program as well as for certificate modules are a field-specific BSc degree, a minimum of three years job experience, English skills at a minimum level of C1 (proof required from all non-native speakers, e.g., TOEFL iBT or proof of having studied in an English-speaking country for at least two semesters).
Duration: 4 semesters, 120 ECTS/16 modules, blocks of lessons with compulsory attendance five times per half year, between Tuesdays 1pm and Saturdays 3pm.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated October 23, 2017