What is the Master in Big Data Technologies and Advanced Analytics?
This program aims to train the new professionals in the ICT sector by combining engineering, technology, and business from the Master in telecommunications engineering with specialized technologies for Big Data and advanced tools for data analytics.
The ICAI Big Data Master guarantees practical training by involving a group of collaborating companies in which the students will develop a real Big Data project throughout the course that will constitute their Master Thesis. Thanks to this collaboration, the program has been designed according to the needs of the business world.
The program is designed so that students can develop skills and abilities acquired on both degrees in two years and one semester. Increased workload and characteristic of a double-degree program requires students to possess strong organizational, study, and work-related skills. Throughout the program, students are constantly guided and supported by their lecturers and tutors. Students who complete the program can register with Spain's Professional Association of Telecommunications Engineers and work in the legally regulated profession of Telecommunications Engineering.
Criteria and Process for Admission:
With regard to the Committee that will carry out the admissions process for this Master´s Degree:
- Admission is the responsibility of the Director of the ICAI School of Engineering, assisted by the Sub-Committee Delegated for Admissions.
- The Sub-Committee Delegated for Admissions is composed of the Head of Studies of the Master´s Degree and the Academic Deputy Director. When necessary, advice will be sought from the Directors of the departments involved in the Master's Degree.
The application for admission must be submitted within the period indicated for that purpose, in a standardized form, and accompanied by all of the documents that prove compliance with the requirements for access to the Degree.
In the case of applicants who have not obtained their Bachelor´s Degree in our School, the student must submit a CV, a letter of intent and two letters of recommendation, along with the application form for admission and the aforementioned supporting documents. In this case, the Sub-Committee Delegated for Admissions may request an interview with the applicant.
There is no specific entrance exam for the Degree; in any case, if the profile of the candidate does not meet the recommendations for access to the Degree, admission may require supplemental training courses prior to acceptance.
Criteria for Admission to the Degree:
- Academic Transcript, which implicitly includes the suitability of the studies carried out previously and the prestige of the university of origin (80%)
- Letters of Recommendation and, if applicable, optional Personal Interview by the candidate with those responsible for the Master's Degree
- Other relevant information on the candidate's academic trajectory and professional career (10%)
- Knowledge of the English language, accrediting at least a B2 European Level (10%). If applicants do not have this minimum level, they may not be admitted to the program.
If the student interested in joining the program has some type of physical disability, he/she may obtain information and personalized assistance available in the Social Work Unit. This University Service is in charge of developing, among other responsibilities, a Program of Attention for Students with Disabilities, with a Social Worker in charge of the actions to be implemented. Information on this program is accessible on the web page, where you can familiarize yourself with the resources and technical and social aid available to help you to participate fully in University life, depending on your specific needs. The document "Entrance Exam Adaptation Request" is available there, on which you can specify your needs during the admissions process.
Career & Academic Prospects
This degree program certifies students to enter the regulated Telecommunications Engineering profession, under the current legislation. [BOE].
The ICAI Master's program in Telecommunications Engineering was designed to provide multidisciplinary and comprehensive education, by combining traditional engineering teaching with extensive leadership education in the international context with the development of professional and communication skills.
In the case of the double-degree program MIT-MBD, students develop Data Scientist and Data Engineering profiles. The objective of the program is to create experts to fulfill the professional profiles demanded by the industry, with a solid knowledge of Big Data technologies and Advanced Analytics.
In addition, this degree allows the student to join doctorate programs.
ICAI Telecommunications Engineers are professionals that lead projects in the areas of Information Technologies and Communications, taking on responsibilities and qualifying for leadership positions gained with skills from their multidisciplinary education in technology and systems integration. Some of the career prospects are:
- Head of telecommunication projects.
- Head of telecommunication services.
- Head of large telecommunication infrastructures.
- Data analysis and business intelligence management (CDO and CIO).
- Research, development, and innovation.
- Technology management (CTO).
- Information security management.
- International and multidisciplinary team management.
- Technology consultant.
- Big Data Systems Engineer
- Data Scientist
- Data Analyst
- Big Data / Business Intelligence Solutions Architect
- Security Manager in Big Data Projects
- Data Consultant
- Big Data Infrastructure Manager
- Manager for Privacy in Big Data Solutions
- Big Data Systems Auditor
Official Master's Degree in Telecommunications Engineering
General Skills and abilities
- Acquire advanced knowledge and demonstrate, in a highly-specific context or a context of scientific and technological research, a detailed and substantiated understanding of the theoretical and practical aspects, and of the methodology of work, in one or more fields of study.
- Know how to apply and combine their knowledge, their understanding, their scientific base and their problem-solving abilities in new and imprecisely defined environments, including multidisciplinary contexts, applicable to both researchers and highly-specialized professionals
- Know how to evaluate and select the appropriate scientific theory and the precise methodology of their fields of study to formulate judgments based on incomplete or limited information, including, when necessary and pertinent, a reflection on social or ethical responsibility linked to the solution that is proposed in each case
- Be able to predict and control the evolution of complex situations through the development of new and innovative work methodologies adapted to specific scientific / research, technological or professional fields, in general multidisciplinary, in which their activity is developed
- Know how to convey, in a clear and unambiguous way, to a specialized or non-specialized audience, results from scientific and technological research or the most advanced field of innovation, as well as the most relevant foundations on which they are based
- To have developed sufficient autonomy to participate in research projects and scientific or technological collaborations within their thematic scope, in interdisciplinary contexts and, where appropriate, with a high component of the transfer of knowledge
- Be able to take responsibility for their own professional development and their specialization in one or more fields of study
- Ability to project, calculate and design products, processes, and facilities in all areas of Telecommunication Engineering
- Capacity for the management of works and installations of Telecommunication Systems, complying with current regulations, ensuring the quality of service
- Ability to direct, plan and supervise multidisciplinary teams
- Capacity for Mathematical Modeling, Calculation and Simulation in Technological Centers and Business Engineering, particularly in Research, Development and Innovation tasks in all fields related to Telecommunication Engineering and related multidisciplinary fields
- Capacity for the elaboration, strategic planning, management, coordination and technical and economic management of projects in all fields of Telecommunications Engineering following quality and environmental criteria
- Capacity for general management, technical management, and supervision of research, development and innovation projects in companies and centers for technology
- Capacity for the initiation, supervision, and management of manufacturing processes of Electronic and Telecommunications equipment, with the guarantee of safety for people and goods, the final quality of the products and their homologation
- Ability to apply the knowledge acquired and solve problems in new or unfamiliar environments within broader and multidisciplinary contexts, being able to use knowledge from different fields
- Ability to understand the ethical responsibility and professional ethics code of the activities involved in the profession of Telecommunications Engineer
- Ability to apply the principles of Economics and Management of Human Resources and Projects, as well as legislation, regulation, and standardization of Telecommunications
- Ability to know how to communicate (orally and in writing) the conclusions - and the knowledge and ultimate reasons that support them - to specialized and non-specialized audiences in a clear and unambiguous way
- Possess skills for continuous, self-directed and autonomous learning
- Knowledge, understanding, and ability to apply the necessary legislation in the exercise of the profession of Telecommunications Engineer
Specific skills and abilities
- Ability to apply methods of Information Theory, Adaptive Modulation, and Channel Coding, as well as advanced techniques of Digital Signal Processing to Communications and Audiovisual Systems.
- Ability to develop Radio Communications Systems: Design of Antennas, Equipment and Subsystems, Modeling of Channels, Calculation of Links, and Planning.
- Ability to implement systems by Cable, Line, Satellite in Fixed and Mobile Communications Environments.
- Ability to design and dimension Transport Networks, Broadcast and Distribution of Multimedia Signals.
- Ability to design Radio Navigation and Positioning Systems, as well as Radar Systems.
- Ability to model, design, implement, manage, operate, manage, and maintain Networks, Services, and Contents.
- Ability to perform planning, decision making, and packaging of Networks, Services, and Applications considering Quality of Service, Direct and Operational Costs, Implementation Plan, Supervision, Security Procedures, Scaling, and Maintenance, as well as how to manage and ensure Quality in the Development Process.
- Ability to understand and know how to apply the operation and organization of the Internet, New Generation Technologies and Internet Protocols, Component Models, Intermediary Software, and Services.
- Ability to solve the convergence, interoperability, and design of Heterogeneous Networks with Local, Access, and Trunk Networks, as well as the integration of Telephone, Data, Television and Interactive Services.
- Ability to design and manufacture Integrated Circuits.
- Knowledge of Hardware Description Languages for highly Complex Circuits.
- Ability to use programmable Logic Devices, as well as to design advanced Electronic Systems, both Analog and Digital.
- Ability to design communication components such as Routers, Switches, Concentrators, Transmitters, and Receivers in different bands.
- Ability to apply advanced knowledge of Photonics and Optoelectronics, as well as High-Frequency Electronics.
- Ability to develop Electronic Instrumentation, as well as Transducers, Actuators, and Sensors.
- Ability to integrate technologies and systems specific to Telecommunications Engineering, with a general character and in broader and multidisciplinary contexts such as Bioengineering, Photovoltaic Conversion, Nanotechnology, and Telemedicine.
- Capacity for the elaboration, supervision, coordination, and technical and economic management of projects on Systems, Networks, Infrastructures and Telecommunications Services, including the supervision and coordination of partial projects and their related work; Common Telecommunication Infrastructures in buildings or residential cores, including Digital Home Projects; Telecommunications Infrastructures in transport and the environment; with their corresponding Power Supply Installations and evaluation of Electromagnetic Emissions and Electromagnetic Compatibility.
- Carry out, present, and defend, once all of the credits in the Study Plan have been obtained, a Comprehensive Project in Telecommunications Engineering, of a professional nature, in which students can demonstrate that they have acquired and assimilated the skills and abilities acquired from teaching. This project should be an original exercise, carried out individually, and defended in front of a Tribunal of Professors from the field.
About the School
The ICAI School of Engineering is a Polytechnic School located in Madrid with a long tradition teaching Engineering that began in 1908. ICAI offer 2-year Master’s Degrees in Industrial Engineering (in ... Read More