The innovative project-oriented training in Data Science led by the minds that envision and hands that shape the future of Big Data World. Your diploma will read Master of Science. Only because our "Wizard" degree is not yet official.
True Data Scientist solves the problem by combining the hardcore science and breakthrough data mining technologies with the inexplicable art of human understanding. As a student you will take part in real projects, working with the team through all the project stages to acquire deep knowledge and master your skills in analyzing the core problems of your customer, planning and managing project resources, engineering software, collecting and processing all sorts of data, and discovering the precious insights that put the whole data puzzle together.
Duration of study
Language of instruction
How to apply
For both foreign students and graduates of the Russian higher education institutions (including bachelor graduates of NRU NSU):
- Educational diploma (certificate or analogous document) on program of level of a bachelor degree or of a specialist qualification of any specialization
- Strong motivation to be Data Scientist
- Proved background and strong knowledge of statistics and programming.
The application procedure and deadlines
Until July, 8 the applicant send the following copies of documents via e-mail to the supervisor of the program Pavlovskiy Evgeniy Nikolaevich (e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org):
- Application for admission to the master program;
- Diploma (or some analogous document) on a program of the level of a bachelor degree or certificate (ordering) about passing now such program.
- TOEFL certificate (score 50-70: intermediate or upper intermediate level) or other international certificates (BEC etc.) of similar level.
- Curriculum Vitae of the applicant.
- Motivational letter (1-2 pages) on entrance to the Program.
- Recommendation of the professor of mathematics, informatics, director of software engineering company, or head of information technology department of the state organization.
Until July, 10 the procedure of selection of applicants for testing passing is carried out.
Until July, 20 the interview with a committee of leading professors of the Chair of General Informatics DIT NSU is carried out (on site or via remote conferencing (Skype/Hangouts)). Features of this interview are reflected in the following section of the Program.
Until July, 25 the admittance to the Program occurs.
First year, Fall Semester
- Operations Research
- Data Mining Tools and Languages
- Storage Technologies
- Philosophy of Data Science
- Business Analysis
- Team Management
- Knowledge Management
First year, Spring Semester
- Project Management
- Machine Learning
- Natural Language Processing
- Frontiers of Data Science
- Data Warehouses
- Programming in Scala
- Decision-Making Theory
- Processing Big Data with Cloud tech
Second year, Fall Semester
- Academic writing
- Signal Processing
- Virtualization and Consolidation
- Biomedical Engineering
- Algorithm Analysis
- Project Management with TOC
- Product Management and Entrepreneurship
Second year, Spring Semester
- Pre-graduation practice
- Master Thesis
During all period
- R & D practice
- Scientific workshop
Example subjects to work on
- Development of a system for predicting blood sugar levels based on machine learning
- Developing a subsystem for retrieving event data.
- Development of a module of an expert system for analysis and monitoring of communications, solving the subscriber's identification problem
- Developing Big Data platform for cognitive analysis
- The application of the principle of rival similarity search for significant features in the processing of large amounts of data (Big Data)
Each student can select a domain of his own interest. Courses specified for domains are served by companies, which have a great experience in applying data analysis technique to solve innovative problems.
- Chair of General Informatics of Information Technology Department at NSU
- Expasoft LLC., Exploratory Systems LLC., Futurolab LLC., UniPro LLC., Novel Software Systems Company (LLC.), Development Group (LLC.)
- Institute of fundamental medicine and physiology SB RAMS
- Institute of Cytology and Genetics
- Budker Institute of Nuclear Physics
- Eyeline Communications CIS
- Alawar Entertainment
- Sobolev Institute of Mathematics
Fees and Financial support
$5200 per year
Every year foreign students have an opportunity to apply for the Russian Government Scholarship which covers full tuition and a monthly allowance. Travel costs, living expenses and health insurance policy are not included. The Scholarships are granted on a competitive basis. Selection criteria and procedure as well as the number of scholarships depend on the country of applicant. The application procedure starts in January. Deadline depends on the country of applicant (March-June).
For further information, follow the link russia.study/en
There are several possibilities: to work for University, Research Institutes of Russian Academy of Sciences, or to work for IT-business, such as our companies ExpaSoft, UniPro, Inteks, Parallels and so on. All our students have a part-time work in IT-company during the tuition period. In addition, you can find that many of our alumni work for Yandex, Google, Microsoft, Parallels, and Intel. Near the University, there is an R&D division of Intel Corporation.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated June 11, 2018