Wendell Fernandes / Unsplash
The Master in Automotive Interior Design analyses how cars are going to adapt to this new mobility scenario and addresses design to improve user experience (UX Design) when interacting with the interior space.
The program is in response to growing demand in the automotive sector for designers with specific knowledge of interiors. It, therefore, trains professionals who can provide innovative solutions for the morphology of interior spaces and user experiences in terms of connectivity, sustainability, new materials, and personalization.
- To redefine the morphology of a vehicle’s interior space, conditioned by new technologies such as artificial intelligence or the Internet of Things (IoT) and their relation to the connected car.
- To design solutions that facilitate user-vehicle interaction to combine digital, physical and services through user experience (UX Design) as a differentiating factor in the transport design of the future.
- To conduct research and innovate through materials (smart, interactive surfaces and structures) by applying the criteria of sustainability, ergonomics, and safety.
- To apply color, trim and lighting knowledge in the interior space to create atmospheres adapted to brands and users in order to define unique personalized spaces.
- To reinforce the specific tools of transport design: 3D modeling, analog, and digital sketching.
- To learn about the manufacturing systems of various elements of a vehicle’s interior.
- To integrate social, technical and sustainable variables into the work methodology of students in order to develop solutions through systemic design.
The main challenge of the course is to convey its contents and welcome the collaboration of various companies, institutions, and professionals from different sectors linked to future mobility. Completing the subjects includes crosscutting seminars and workshops that are held with guest specialists in order to develop different topics of interest in a practical manner, thereby consolidating the knowledge obtained in the theoretical and practical subjects. The Master includes the collaboration of a teaching team comprising leading professionals specializing in each of the areas of study.
The working method is necessarily active and applicable to professional reality, and also includes the freedom of ideas, experimentation, and hypotheses generated by the students.
An essential part of the learning process comprises observation, analysis, and experimentation, which is why both the theoretical classes and projects are supported by outings and visits. These provide students with the opportunity to learn about the automotive and mobility world in Barcelona as guided by professionals.
- Graduates in disciplines related to design, preferably transport design, interior design, industrial design, architecture or engineering, who want to acquire the necessary tools to tackle an interior design project in the automotive sector in an effective manner.
- Professionals from the automotive sector.
- Advanced knowledge of 3D modeling is essential.
- Advanced level of sketching.
- All students have to present a CV and portfolio with their own projects in both academic and professional fields.
Leveling courses must be taken if required.
The Master course prepares students to add value to companies linked to the automotive sector, with the ability to join various departments: modeling, color, and trim, interiors, components and UX.
Industrial and automotive designer. Design and development advisor, Ricardo has been collaborating with companies such as Rücker Lypsa Barcelona, Celler Can Roca, Criber S.A., Santa&Cole, Rücker AG Frankfurt and Seat.
About the School
The IED Barcelona is a workshop for conducting analysis and research applied to material culture, a focus it is destined to develop increasingly in the future.