The course of study focuses on the study of the physical nature of celestial bodies (eg stars, galaxies, quasars, black holes) and the structure of the Universe, from experimental, theoretical and statistics points of view. The experiments and observations encompass the entire electromagnetic spectrum from radio through infrared, optical and ultraviolet to the very high energies (X-rays, gamma-rays, ...), and also particle astrophysics. The theoretical aspects include the development of models for explaining observational data (with close links to gravitational, nuclear and particle physics) and the development of numerical simulations. The statistical aspects concern methodologies for the treatment of large amounts of scientific data and for the optimal extraction of information from them. The course also deals with modern astronomical instrumentation through direct experience in advanced laboratories.
Bologna is the main astrophysics centre in Italy: the university department has strong ties and collaborations with the Astrophysics and Space Science Observatory (OAS) and the Institute of Radio Astronomy (IRA), both part of the National Institute of Astrophysics (INAF), and with the Cherenkov Telescope Array Headquarters (CTA). All educational activities benefit from the numerous synergies within the unique environment of the Navile Campus, where all these institutions are located. This guarantees students particularly rich educational opportunities in a unique, extremely dynamic and internationally recognized scientific environment.
5 reasons to enroll in this Master
1. you will have the opportunity to carry out your own Master Thesis project in one (of the four!) international astrophysical institutes located in Bologna
2. you will acquire a deep knowledge of the most recent developments in astrophysical and cosmological research, becoming familiar with the physical processes driving the formation and evolution of cosmic
3. you will have the opportunity to access some of the most advanced labs for research and instrumentation development in astrophysics
4. you will acquire a full view of the Universe at all electromagnetic wavelengths (Radio, infrared, optical, UV, X-rays, very high energy, etc.)
5. more than 90% of our students are fully satisfied by our Master Degree course and most of them found a PhD or a job soon after graduation