Master in Artificial Intelligence
As a Master's student, you will learn to conduct independent research in the field of artificial intelligence (AI). You will explore knowledge acquisition and modeling, multi-agent systems, and techniques to make internet searches more efficient and effective. Artificial intelligence is all about smart environments that support humans in a very dedicated way. Because intelligence is about more than just logical thought, you will draw upon knowledge from across the academic spectrum; from philosophy, logic, and psychology, to information science, linguistic analysis and mathematics.
The program in a nutshell
The Master’s program in Artificial Intelligence lasts two years and consists of 120 ECTS credits. Whichever specialization you choose, you complete your program by writing a thesis.
You can choose between two programs:
- Socially Aware Computing (Specializations: Cognitive Science & Socially Aware Computing)
- Technical (Joint VU-UvA Program)
The Master’s program in Artificial Intelligence at a glance:
- You work in study groups and attend supporting lectures
- You study research methods and techniques
- You conduct your own research
- You write a Master’s thesis
- Compulsory and elective subjects
How your program is structured depends upon which specialization you choose. Each consists of both compulsory and elective subjects. A typical example of a compulsory component is Knowledge Engineering, which covers organizational aspects of knowledge management and teaches you how knowledge can be described using modern information modeling techniques. Other courses include Data Mining Techniques, Intelligent Web Applications, Evolutionary Computing or Model-based Intelligent Environments.
At present, almost all AI graduates find a job relevant to their degree within a few months of leaving the university. They can find work in a range of professions, both managerial and technical. The kind of work you are likely to go into depends very much upon your chosen specialization. If you have taken Organizational Dynamics and Self-Organization, for example, then organizational consultancy could be for you. The Cognitive Science specialization might lead to a career in human factor design or applied human-computer interaction. An Intelligent Internet Applications specialization means that you will probably not have to wait long before being snapped up by business or the public sector.
Other examples of jobs:
- knowledge and information manager
- information analyst
- application developer
- website builder
- software developer
- web designer
- Academic careers
A Master’s degree in Artificial Intelligence is also a great springboard to further research work as a Ph.D. student at a university or specialist institute.
The requirements are split up into Masters’ specialization specific requirements and general requirements.
Specific requirements master’s program
- Students with a Dutch preliminary education.
- For the Master programs in Artificial Intelligence, students may enroll who have a Bachelor or Dr's diploma in Artificial Intelligence obtained at a Dutch university (Utrecht, Nijmegen, Amsterdam (VU, UvA), Groningen, Maastricht). Some of the programs are open to students who have a Bachelor, Drs or Master diploma in Computer Science, Psychology, Biology, or Law obtained at a Dutch institute or university of quality recognized by VU University Amsterdam. Some of the programs are also open to people with other diplomas, University or HBO, who are kindly invited to contact us if interested in following a Master program at our Department.
- Students with an international preliminary education.
- Admission to this Master program is open to students with a Bachelor degree in Artificial Intelligence or students from Computer Science with appropriate specialization. The student is assumed to be familiar with programming in Java and Prolog, to have a general knowledge of Artificial Intelligence and a basic working knowledge of computer science, logic, mathematics, psychology and natural language processing. Under specific circumstances, other students may also be admissible.
General language proficiency requirements
VU University Amsterdam requires international applicants to take an English test and to submit their score as a part of the application. Exceptions are made for students who have completed their education in Canada, USA, UK, Ireland, New Zealand or Australia or who have obtained an International Baccalaureate or European Baccalaureate diploma.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated January 12, 2018