The Faculty of Mathematics and Computer Science offers study programs in mathematics and informatics for around 1200 students.
The Department of Computer Science offers BSc study programs in Informatics (in Romanian and in English) and Applied Informatics (in Romanian), MSc study programs in Artificial Intelligence and Distributed Computing (in Romanian and in English), Software Engineering (in Romanian) and Applied Informatics in Science, Technology and Economics (in Romanian), PhD programs in Cloud Computing, High Performance Computing, Artificial Intelligence, Automated Reasoning and Theoretical Computer Science which are also the main research directions of the department members (for details see http://research.info.uvt.ro).
The Artificial Intelligence and Distributed Computing Master's Program taught in English aims to offer competences in designing intelligent systems with application in various scientific and technical fields and in using the most recent technologies in high-performance computing and distributed computing. It is a two years program organized in three semesters devoted to teaching and a fourth one focused on research activities and the MSc thesis preparation. The students have the opportunity to use the infrastructure of the High-Performance Computing Lab (http://hpc.uvt.ro), participate in international research projects and to industrial projects conducted in collaboration with IT companies.
Main course titles
- Distributed Systems;
- Parallel Computing;
- Systolic Algorithms;
- Workflow Technologies;
- Multi-agent systems;
- Operational Research and Optimization;
- Data Mining;
- Term rewriting;
- Metaheuristic Algorithms;
- Advanced Logical and Functional Programming;
- Distributed Methods and Technologies based on XML;
- Automated Theorem Proving;
- Data Structures and Algorithms in Parallel Computing.
Potential labor market positions following graduation
The graduates can target positions in IT industry as distributed systems engineer, high-performance computing software engineer, cloud platform developer, data scientist/engineer, machine learning engineer, analytics engineer. They can also choose a Ph.D. path oriented toward cloud computing and/or machine learning, fields which are currently in high demand of specialists.
- The students interested in research can be involved in the projects conducted at the e-Austria Research Institute (http://www.ieat.ro)
- The HPC lab from the West University of Timisoara includes one of the most performant computing infrastructures in Romania which students can use to perform research and solve interesting problems.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated April 16, 2018