About the Master
This master poses as a fundamental pedagogical objective the training of the student in the achievement of an artistic proposal based on a cinematographic script through all its phases of development.
For this purpose, the necessary tools are put at their disposal to deal rigorously with the necessary procedures in the definition of the visual narrative of a film, as well as the technical particularities of the craft of art direction and its execution.
Who is it for?
Graduates in Fine Arts, Architecture, Audiovisual Communication, Art, Design, Art History, Set Design. Professionals from the film or videographic sector who want to deepen their knowledge of cinematographic art direction.
- The objective is to make contact with the student with the work process of an art director.
- Train the student to be able to carry out an artistic proposal based on a cinematographic script.
- Learn to visually define the narrative of a film, from the standpoint of scenography and character creation.
- Know the phases of development of a project, and have the necessary tools and procedures to bring it to fruition.
The students are divided into several groups, each of which works an artistic direction project based on a pre-established text. The project is developed in the following phases: concept, space, character, object and narrative. Each of the phases involves a specific type of work: moodboard, model, construction of space on set, shooting of scenes in built sets, etc.
In parallel to the classes for the project, the students receive theoretical and practical training on the theory and technique of the artistic direction of audiovisual works.
The scope of the Art Direction expands beyond the margins of the audiovisual. With the desire to promote the work of the student, and part of the productions of the environment, ESCAC facilitates the completion of extracurricular projects, during or once the Master. These projects allow the student to demonstrate their professional value, improve their portfolio and access the industry.
Some of the projects that have been carried out in previous editions have been:
- Construction of a 6-meter Transformer for the premiere of the film
- Ephemeral decoration of facades of the commercial nucleus within the framework of the San Sebastian Film Festival
- Design and reproduction at scale of the Festival de Cinema de Sitges
- Design of the school stand in the Saló de l'Ensenyament
- Stage design of the gala and design of the Proyecta Awards
- Scenography of plays
- Creation stand for the Barcelona Shopping Night
- Promotional stands in Fira de Barcelona
The teaching team is made up of professionals active in the film and advertising sector, together with ESCAC's own teachers who accompany the students daily in the execution of their practices.
Data of interest
- Dates: From January 7 to July 12, 2019
- schedule: From Monday to Friday from 10 am to 2 pm.
- The school opens on Saturdays from 9 am to 2 pm with open classrooms and optional workshops.
- language: All classes are taught in Spanish, although the school reserves the right to impart 10% of them in English in case the teaching staff so requests.
- registration: (consult web)
- Face-to-face modality
- seats: 24
- price: € 5,900