Master in Anthropology
Our approach to Anthropology takes its inspiration from a variety of disciplinary and epistemological trends. While most of our staff is educated in the Anglo/French tradition in Social Anthropology, the environment at the Estonian Institute of Humanities (EHI) fosters an interdisciplinary approach to the study of cultural diversity in the world.
We are committed to participant observation as a methodology that promotes the understanding of a real life experience. We understand ethnography as an insightful and detailed description of specific social practices, contextualized within the comparative dimensions of culture and social life. This knowledge necessarily arises from an empathetic immersion in the social context being studied.
Reasons to choose this programme and the Estonian Institute of Humanities
- We are constantly looking for ways to make new connections between disciplines, vocabularies, and concepts that will allow us to render a sophisticated comparative understanding of the faculties of social life from a comparative perspective.
- The research and teaching of Anthropology at the EHI is encouraged and sustained by a cosmopolitan staff; their regional research interests cover the Baltics, South America, the Caribbean, Siberia, India, West Africa, and England.
- The Department received full accreditation with maximum ratings from the Estonian Higher Education Accreditation Centre in 2008.
Opportunities after graduation
All our graduates have either continued on to graduate school or found employment in the public and private sector.
- Statement of research interests or outline of research project (should be sent to email@example.com for 05.07 latest)
- Essay based on assigned literature. The essay is to be written on-site. The applicants will be required to read two articles relating to one of the five topics listed: Fieldwork, Anthropology of Religion, Political Anthropology, Sensorial Anthropology and Visual Anthropology.
Contact Carlo A. Cubero E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
This school offers programs in: