Master in Analytics & Systems
Become the competitive advantage
Modern technology now provides industries of all kinds with the ability to gather vast amounts of data. But data requires more than just flashy dashboards and reports.
In order to make better data-driven business decisions, employers require hybrid IT/business professionals to make data meaningful. Our STEM designated program was built with this need in mind.
In the Master of Science in Analytics and Systems degree program, we will help you:
- develop the critical thinking skills necessary to combine complex data and business value and turn it into actionable insight
- cultivate expertise in analysis, management, solution architecture and delivery, and hands-on technical skill
- grow your skills through our comprehensive curriculum, which offers opportunities for inquiry and professional development to round out your experience
Courses led by business leaders
Our faculty not only hold terminal degrees, but also bring an unparalleled level of real-world experience to the classroom. Drawing on expertise gained in the corporate sector, our professors impart time-tested best practices and deep business acumen to every lecture. By learning from business professionals, you will master methods and practical skills rooted in success.
- STEM designated program
- Ability to complete the program in conjunction with our award-winning MBA program
- Close proximity to NYC, Stamford, and Greenwich allows for easy access to some of the world’s most powerful corporations, including 18 on the Fortune 500
- Supportive Center for Career Development to help you launch or elevate your career
- Access to expansive library resources and SMART technology-equipped classrooms
A word from the Ernest C. Trefz School of Business
“With 26 years of experience delivering technical solutions, I’m acquainted with most aspects of analytics and systems, from both hands-on and managerial perspectives. The ability to bridge between business and technology is crucial; it is a skill that sets candidates apart. Our Analytics and Systems (M.S.) degree program provides students with minimal technical experience the orientation, exposure to, and comfort with using and interpreting information to fuel fact-based decisions. Students emerge as hybrid business/IT professionals with the dexterity and comfort to glean insights and wisdom from data for positive business results. Nothing pleases me more than when my students return and affirm that the material I taught them made the difference in landing their first job or securing a job change into the analytics and systems field. This experience can’t be duplicated elsewhere.”
Michael Lohle, Ph.D., PMP
- A bachelor’s degree, or its equivalent, from an accredited university or recognized international institution
- Students are recommended to have undergraduate degrees in Economics, Information Systems, Management, Mathematics, or, Statistics
- Cumulative undergraduate grade point average of 3.00 or higher
- Ability to interview with a representative from the University of Bridgeport during the application process
- University of Bridgeport graduate application and a $50 application fee (non-refundable)
- Checks or money orders should be made payable to the University of Bridgeport
- Official transcripts from every college or university where college credit was awarded
- Two recommendation letters
- Letters must be signed and come directly from employers, professors, or professional associates and describe your work ethic, academic or work experience, and why you would be a good fit for the University of Bridgeport’s MS Analytics & Systems program
- Personal statement
- In 250 – 500 words, detail why you are seeking an MS in Analytics & Systems, how you expect to apply your degree to your professional career after graduation, and why you seek to pursue your degree through the University of Bridgeport
- Professional resume or CV
- GMAT scores
- Students are recommended to have scored at least a 450 in the GMAT or have received an equivalent score on the GRE Quantitative section
A completed application and all supporting documents must be received on or before:
- May 1 for the fall semester
- December 1 for the spring semester
Career Paths & Opportunities for Analytics and Systems (M.S.) Degree
Become a Hybrid Professional
If your career goals include “bridging” between technology, data and business leadership, mastering data and information, and applying the resulting insights for positive business benefit, then the Master of Science in Analytics and Systems is your perfect degree.
Upon completion of this program, you will be effective at interpreting trends in complex, often poor quality data and translating it for business leadership to facilitate action for positive results. In addition, you will emerge with the context necessary to manage the delivery of intricate, highly visible information systems required to support business needs.
We will prepare you to hit the ground running in any data-driven industry—from politics and sports, to finance and health care, and more.
What will UBecome with an Analytics and Systems (M.S.) Degree?
Become a critical member of the team as a
- Analytics Manager
- Business Analyst
- Business Consultant
- Business Intelligence Analyst
- Business Intelligence Developer
- Business Intelligence Project and Program Manager
- Business Intelligence System Administrator
- Business Systems Analyst
- Competitive Intelligence Manager
- Consulting Delivery Manager
- Dashboard Developer
- Data Analyst
- Data Mining Analyst
- Data Profiler
- Data Warehouse Designer
- Database Analyst
- Digital Product Manager
- Financial Analyst
- Healthcare Analyst
- Information Systems Manager
- Information Technology Business Analyst
- Information Technology Manager
- Market Analyst
- Marketing Analytics Manager
- Product Manager
- Project Leader
- Report Developer
- Retail Analyst
- Risk Analyst
- Risk Manager
- Solutions Architect
- Systems Analyst
How can UB help me reach my career goals?
Preparation for Future Studies and Certification Opportunities
Set Yourself Apart with a SAS Certificate
Our academic collaboration with SAS empowers Analytics and Systems (M.S.) degree program students to take advantage of discounts on industry standard SAS certification and access test banks SAS provides to collaborating institutions. For more information visit the SAS Global Certification program.
Pursue Your MBA
The University of Bridgeport’s Ernest C. Trefz School of Business offers the following graduate degrees in which you may continue or concurrently expand upon your business education. Our MBA program is well-suited for individuals seeking to hone managerial skills:
- Business Administration (M.B.A.) Concentrations
- Accounting/CPA Track
- Analytics Intelligence
- Human Resources Management
- International Business
- Online MBA – Master of Business Administration
UB’s Center for Career Development helps graduates prepare for entrance into the workforce. Our comprehensive career counseling and resource center is dedicated to helping you become active participants in your own academic, professional, and career development.
Services provided include basics like resume and cover letter building, interview preparation, and negotiation as well as goal assessment and personal branding.
UBjobnet is UB’s internal job portal–open only to UB students and alumni! Here, you can access a variety of opportunities posted by local and national employers. Search for jobs/internships, submit your resume online, register for career related events, or all of the above.
Course Offerings for Analytics and Systems (M.S.) Degree
Learn how to make data-driven business decisions
You will gain in-depth knowledge of information systems, as well as modern analytical skills, while fulfilling the 30-credit course requirement for the Analytics and Systems (M.S.) degree program.
Rigorous classroom instruction and required projects are structured to prepare you for the unique demands of this fast-paced sector. Courses are specifically broken out into the following segments, allowing you to build a foundation of knowledge as you go: Program Core, Analytics Intelligence, and Analytics Applications.
You will conclude the program with a required thesis or internship to demonstrate competency in research, analysis, and project work. You may elect to include research, project work, or both. An effective thesis will help you solidify your grasp of the program content and serve as an impressive addition to your career portfolio.
How does the curriculum differ from the MBA with a concentration in Analytics Intelligence?
The Analytics and Systems (M.S.) degree program focuses specifically analytics and systems, rather than business management.
“I’m often asked what sets the Ernest C. Trefz School of Business apart. The difference is in our faculty. They have years of experience delivering game changing enterprise intelligence and analytics solutions and they love bringing their experience to bear to propel students forward.”
Lloyd Gibson, D.Sc., MBA, BS/MA
Dean, Ernest C. Trefz School of Business
Learning Outcomes for Analytics and Systems (M.S.) Degree
You will integrate the knowledge and skills gained throughout the Master of Science in Analytics and Systems program to enhance critical thinking and data mastery by:
- Demonstrating an understanding of concepts learned throughout this graduate program
- Describing the business drivers and critical success factors for effective analytics project and program delivery
- Using research, tools and techniques for complex analytical solutions that capture, consolidate and present information for meaningful insights
- Communicating complicated information at a professional level via comfort and confidence telling compelling stories using data
- Understanding how to manage all aspects of the data capture, delivery and analysis process
- Demonstrating initiative, discipline, and follow-through on assignments and projects
- Facilitating meaningful dialogue related to class topics
- Evaluating the advantages and disadvantages of analytics solution designs, tools and visualization options
- Analyzing trends within data and facilitating their application
- Applying the theories and techniques learned throughout this program with focus on economics, ethics, finance, marketing, sourcing and vendor management.
Program Requirements for Analytics and Systems (M.S.) Degree
Keys to Completing the Analytics and Systems (M.S.) Degree Program
To fulfill the requirements of this program, you will need to successfully complete the required 30-credits of coursework, including a thesis or internship. Coursework may be completed as a full-time or part-time student. You must satisfactorily complete all academic requirements with a cumulative grade point average grade of “B” (CGPA = 3.0) or better.
Evaluation of your progress will be based on the following:
- Research papers integrating market trends with class topics
- Exams measuring the effective acquisition of technical acumen
- “Hands-on” tools and calculation assignments and projects
- Student attendance and class participation
- A thesis that demonstrates the ability to conduct investigations in the analytics and systems discipline
This school offers programs in:
Last updated April 9, 2017