The Department of Biology and Biotechnology offers a Course for a Master Degree in Molecular Biology and Genetics. This 2-year second level degree (Biology class) is an intensive, full-time graduate program entirely taught in English and designed for graduates at the BA level who are seeking a qualification in advanced areas of Biology, with special attention to Molecular Biology, Genetics, and Biochemistry. Graduates will acquire a strong theoretical and methodological background relevant to both basic and applied aspects of these disciplines.
The program will provide a state-of-the-art knowledge and training in biomolecular sciences, including the most recent advances in genomics and proteomics of human and animal organisms, in the study of biomolecular structures and their connection to function, and in the genetic manipulation of bacteria, human and animal cells and seed plants. Specific courses are Advanced Molecular Biology, Bioinformatics, Cellular Biochemistry, Developmental Biology, Human Molecular Genetics, Methods in Biochemistry, Microbial Genetics, Molecular Microbiology, Molecular Pharmacology, Structural Biology and Pharmacology and Plant Molecular Biology and Biotechnology. The following courses will also be offered as optional: Advanced Microscopy, Immunology, Molecular Entomology and Molecular Genetics.
The program will also provide expertise in the technologies required for the utilization of microorganisms, animals, and plants as factories for the production of biologically active molecules including therapeutic compounds.
The students are expected to carry out a scientific investigation under the supervision of a faculty member (38 credits). The experimental work carried out during the two year-Degree, must result in a Dissertation (Master of Sciences) that will represent an essential component of the Course program. In this context, the graduates will benefit from the informal atmosphere between staff and students that is traditional in our University. For the experimental component of the Curriculum, each student will be associated with a research group and actively participate in one of the group’s research projects.
Aims and Objectives
- Provide students with an excellent background in the theoretical aspects of biomolecular sciences and familiarity with laboratory techniques,
- Stimulate the capability of students to plan and implement research projects and to critically evaluate the results of their research and those of the scientific literature.
- Expose the students to the present frontiers of research in the life sciences exploiting also lectures and seminars given by invited international scientists of excellent level.
- Develop the students writing and oral scientific communication skills in view of their future interaction with the international scientific community.
- Develop their ability to perform teamwork.
- Provide the ability to critically assess the usefulness of theoretical, experimental and practical methodologies for the analysis and solution of scientific questions and issues.
- Provide the opportunity for students to gain and enhance the knowledge and skills required by research organizations and biotechnology companies.
- Provide the ability of the students to bring to the society at large the benefits of advanced research in the life sciences.
A Molecular Biology and Genetics Master degree may offer a successful introduction to different types of jobs throughout society. Graduates will find work opportunities in a wide range of fields and institutions, including a possible continuation of the study towards a qualified Ph. D. degree for a career in the academic or research organization world, or employment in the health sector, in biotech companies, in agribusiness research, in the communication media, as well as for teaching in the private or public sectors.
Official Website LINK
About the School
The University of Pavia is one of the world’s oldest academic institutions: it was founded in 1361 and until the 20th century it was the only university in the Milan area and the region of Lombardy. P ... Read More