Master’s program: Library and Information Science, Digital Library and Information Services
Would you like to work at the leading edge of information and library practice? Would you be interested in helping people to make sense of the cyberspace that is becoming so important in their work and lives? Do you want to have all the treasures of human knowledge, acquired through the ages, at your fingertips?
This program will help you to choose your mission and place in life. It offers exciting possibilities of finding the job of your dreams. Digital library and information services in many different sectors, from public and academic libraries to global business and children’s libraries are now seeking staff who have been prepared to work in the digital environment. The knowledge and skills you acquire will be useful in any of these areas because of the pervasive and omnipresent nature of digital resources. You will be the one to lead people to the information they really need.
Digital libraries are increasingly significant throughout the world in the provision of information not only to local audiences but internationally. They are developed by existing library services, by governmental and commercial organizations. Therefore, we offer this program on a part-time, distance learning basis, to answer the need for professional competence in this area, in a mode that is appropriate for anyone, anywhere in the world.
Following the program, students will be able to understand the significance of digital libraries in their own context, manage the transition of services to the digital sphere, and develop new digital services to satisfy the needs of their clientele. The program draws upon the excellence of faculty members in Sweden’s leading school of library and information science.
Content of the education
- Digital library management (advanced, 15 ECTS)
- Users and information activities in digital environments(advanced, 15 ECTS)
- Information retrieval for digital libraries (introductory, 7,5 ECTS)
- Technology of digital libraries (introductory, 7,5 ECTS)
- Digitisation and digital preservation (advanced, 15 ECTS)
- Digital library research methods (advanced, 15 ECTS)
- Technology of digital libraries (advanced, 7,5 ECTS)
- Information retrieval for digital libraries (advanced, 7,5 ECTS)
- Project work practicum (advanced, 7,5 ECTS)
- Master’s thesis (22,5 ECTS)
(Note: the whole work on the Master’s thesis includes the course on digital library research methods and the project work practicum and equals =45 ECTS)
You can target various jobs in libraries developing digital services. There are also possibilities in other public and business organizations that implement modern information services, create centralized or distributed collections of documents, support e-learning, work in electronic publishing or digitization fields. With the expertise, you gain of needs assessment and management of digital services, and your ability to communicate across the borders of technological, information and managerial professions a variety of career paths will be opened up to you as a graduate of this program.
- Bachelor's degree in Library and Information Science or other humanities, social science, natural science or a technical science, 180 credits, or equivalent.
- Verified knowledge of English corresponding to the course English B in the Swedish Upper Secondary School.
Graduation leads to Master’s degree in Library and Information Science, Digital Libraries and Information Services.
Main area: Library and Information Science.
The studies take place in a distance mode. You need to participate in several meetings during your education. More information about when and where these meetings will take place will be announced later. Communication between the students and teachers is maintained mainly through the e-learning platform. Therefore, the students must have access to a computer with a broadband connection. Language of instruction will be English.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated December 15, 2017