While a thorough understanding of aggregate economy dynamics is necessary for success, it is not entirely sufficient. Organizations must also be knowledgeable of the many sources of aggregate risk and uncertainty and must rely on the analytical tools available to study the aggregate economy.Students in the Barcelona GSE Macroeconomic Policy and Financial Markets Program will obtain relevant knowledge about the central issues in Macroeconomic and Financial Economics analysis, as well as the key tools, data, models, and techniques now being used by public and private institutions.
Financial and consulting firms increasingly utilize complex economic theories. Students will not only learn how to use these modeling and statistical techniques but will conduct an independent master's project to learn how to apply these new skills to real empirical work.Our program also offers students guest seminars and lectures by international academics and practitioners.
A closing conference will be held as an interactive forum between the academic and professional worlds. The presentation and discussion of students' applied work will be combined with expert talks covering both institutional topics as well as the presentation of original academic research.
This program covers economic models such as the dynamic stochastic general equilibrium (DSGE), vector autoregression (VAR), and autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity (ARCH). Our graduates are prepared with an expert grasp of aggregate economy and financial function fundamentals, able to build macroeconomic and market forecasts - skills that consulting firms, investment banks, and government agencies are all in need of.
Given the applied, quantitative nature of this program, students will need to furnish their own laptop computer.
All Macroeconomic Policy and Financial Markets Program students are required to take a mathematics, statistics, and computer tools brush-up course.
A limited number of places will be available to practitioners who would like to enroll in specific courses.
Course offer is subject to change.
What skills and knowledge will I acquire in this program?
- Deep knowledge of the economic theory behind macroeconomic models of financial markets
- Comprehension of the dynamics affecting financial and policy-oriented decision-making
- Numerical methods and simulation techniques applied to quantitative macroeconomics, policy design, and evaluation
- Precise econometric techniques required for a state-of-the-art applied analysis
- Ability to create and deliver technical and executive reports and publicly communicate and discuss research work
Who will benefit from this program?
- Graduates in Economics, Business Administration, and Engineering
- Junior analysts and other professionals at central banks and public institutions seeking to improve their profile
- Prospective Ph.D. students looking for a solid master's program in Economics
Who hires Macro graduates?
- Financial Services
- Government and Authorities
- Consulting Firms
- Research and Academic Institutions
Examples of recent professional placements:
- Banc Sabadell - Graduate Program (Barcelona)
- BearingPoint - Functional Analyst (Frankfurt, Germany)
- Central Bank of Dominican Republic - Economist (Santo Domingo)
- Central Bank of Russia - Senior Economist (Moscow, Russian Federation)
- Credit Suisse - Junior Quantitative Credit Risk Analyst (Zurich, Switzerland)
- European Central Bank (ECB) - Trainee on Monetary Policy Strategy (Frankfurt, Germany)
- European Commission - Trainee (Brussels, Belgium)
- OECD Directorate for Public Governance and Territorial Development - Consultant (Paris, France)
- Samsung - Credit Risk Analyst (Korao, South Korea)
- Swiss RE - Intern Asset Management Unit (Zurich, Switzerland)
Examples of recent Ph.D. program placements:
- Roma Tre University
- Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona (UAB)
- University of Essex
- University of Leicester
This school offers programs in:
Last updated September 13, 2018