The Barcelona GSE Master's Degree in Economics and Finance has two tracks:
- PhD Track Program, that is the first year of the PhD program at Universitat Pompeu Fabra, consisting in core courses in advanced Econometrics, Microeconomics and Macroeconomics. Upon completion of the PhD Track Program, graduates are awarded the Barcelona GSE Master's Degree in Economics and Finance and proceed to Year 2 of the PhD, consisting in coursework that prepares students to conduct research and the final PhD dissertation.
- The Economics Program, which dual theoretical and empirical approach gives students an excellent grounding and deep understanding of the field's foundations and applications. Students will learn how to use powerful analytical and quantitative tools, and they will design and conduct an independent master's project.
Specialized elective courses
The Economics Program course list is broad enough to offer students specialized training in a number of areas, such as:
- Macroeconomics with a focus on monetary and fiscal policy
- Political Economy
- Labor and Public Economics
- International Economics
- Development Economics
- Business and market organization
- Behavioral and Experimental Economics
- Financial Economics
95% placed within six months of graduation.
In the three most recent cohorts of the Economics Program, 95% of graduates were hired for jobs related to the Master's Degree or gained admission to a PhD or other post-graduate program.
What skills and knowledge will I acquire in this program?
- Solid command of analytical and quantitative Economics
- Knowledge of a wide range of specializations in different fields of economics
- Competence in both theoretical and empirical approaches, from foundation to application and policy
- Expert subject knowledge in writing and discussion of graduate-level economics
- Facility with tools necessary to successfully pursue a top Ph.D. in economics
Who will benefit from this program?
- Graduate students in economics, mathematics, or engineering
- Junior analysts or professionals from the workforce looking for a postgraduate degree with advanced tools in quantitative economics
- Aspiring PhD students looking for a rigorous master program in economics
Who hires Economics graduates?
- Consulting Firms
- Financial Services
- Government & Authorities
- International Organizations / Non-profits
- Research & Academic Institutions
- Other Industries
Examples of recent Economics placements:
- Accenture − Data Analyst − Munich, Germany
- Bloomberg − Data Analyst/Researcher − London, United Kingdom
- Cambridge Economic Policy Associates (CEPA) − Junior Economist − London, United Kingdom
- Compass Lexecon − Analyst − Paris, France
- European Central Bank (ECB) − Trainee in Monetary Policy Strategy Division − Frankfurt, Germany
- European Central Bank (ECB) − Traineeship − Frankfurt, Germany
- Frontier Economics − Analyst − London, United Kingdom
- Goldman Sachs − Macro Research Internship − London, United Kingdom
- Inter-American Development Bank − Research Fellow − Washington DC, United States
- J.P. Morgan − Junior Economics − London, United Kingdom
- JPAL − Policy and Research Analyst − Lima, Peru
- KPMG − Financial Risk Management Consultant − Barcelona, Spain
- OECD − Traineeship − Paris, France
- Oxford Economics − Graduate Programme − London, United Kingdom
- The Brattle Group − Research Analyst − London/Brussels, United Kingdom
- UBS − Investment Banking Analyst − London, United Kingdom
- United Nations (UN) − Consultant − Montevideo, Uruguay
- University of Zurich − Research Assistant − Zurich, Switzerland
About the School
Barcelona Graduate School of Economics is an institution dedicated to academic rigor, open-minded thinking, and scientific impact. We do this by bringing together four of Europe’s top Economics resear ... Read More