The digital revolution brings with it an explosion of data that carries significant potential value for businesses, science, and society.
As data becomes easily available as never before, so too does its volume grow, and extracting useful quantitative insights becomes more and more challenging.
The Barcelona GSE Master in Data Science prepares its graduates to design and build data-driven systems for decision-making in the private or public sector, offering a thorough training in predictive, descriptive, and prescriptive analytics.
The curriculum will guide students from modeling and theory to computational practice and cutting-edge tools, teaching skills that are in growing global demand.
Data Science students will be armed with a solid knowledge of statistical and machine learning methods, optimization and computing, and the ability to spot, assess, and seize the opportunity of data-driven value creation.
Students will learn how to apply classroom examples using real data and answer concrete business questions from the perspectives of different industries. Through an independent master's project and the opportunity for industrial practicum work conducted with local businesses, students can have the opportunity to solve actual analytics problems hands-on.
Our courses are taught by leading academics and researchers in the fields of Economics, Operations, and Statistics, as well as experienced professionals from the analytics industry.
The program also invites guest speakers and entrepreneurs working at the frontiers of the Data Science.
The Data Science program is organized around four pillars:
- Statistics and Machine Learning
- Optimization and Operational Research
- Data Warehousing, Business Intelligence, and Big Data Analytics
- Economics, Finance, and Policy-Making
In September, students are required to take three brush-up courses. Students who can provide evidence of sufficient past coursework may be exempt:
- Introduction to Computing
- Introduction to Economics
- Introduction to Mathematics
Course offer is subject to change.
What skills and knowledge will I acquire in this program?
- Expertise in modern computational, high-dimensional and simulation-based Statistics and Machine Learning
- Solid evaluation of the opportunities of data-driven value creation within companies and organizations
- Ability to apply appropriate statistical methodologies and optimization techniques in solving complex problems
- Innovation with database management systems and distributed processing in a cloud computing environment
- Experience analyzing Big Data from the Internet of Things (industrial sensor data), the Internet of People (social and location data), and business transaction data
- Effective communication of data analysis results through presentation and aesthetic charting skills
Who will benefit from this program?
- Graduates in Economics or Business with a solid economics grounding, and a keen interest in quantitative methods
- Graduates in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, Physics, or Statistics with the ambition to work on real-world problems and data
- Programming professionals looking to acquire analytical and quantitative tools to leverage their experience
- Aspiring Ph.D. students looking for rigorous training in quantitative and analytical methods
The industrial practicum is an in-depth analytics project that takes place during the final three months of the master. The practicum gives Data Science students the opportunity to complete a "deep dive" analytics project using real data from selected companies around Barcelona.
Students will dedicate 300 hours to the practicum, collaborating with companies on-site using real data to solve a specific challenge that requires the types of "skill bundles" they have acquired during the first two terms of the master program.
Companies that have expressed interest in offering practicum projects to Barcelona GSE students include commercial banks, consulting firms, mobile application developers, risk analysts, and online retail platforms, among others. With a wide menu of companies competing for their attention, students are very likely to be matched with a practicum in the industry where they might prefer to work after graduation.
Who hires Data Science graduates?
- Consumer Goods, E-commerce, Entertainment, Pharmaceutical, and Telecommunications Industries
- Logistics and Transportation Industries
- Finance and Insurance Industry
- Consulting and Research Organizations
- Banking and Public Institutions
Examples of recent professional placements:
- Accenture - Consultant (Barcelona)
- Agoda - Data Scientist (Bangkok, Thailand)
- Criteo - Business Intelligence Analyst (Barcelona)
- Kernel Analytics - Data Scientist (Barcelona)
- King - Junior Data Scientist (Barcelona)
- Morgan Stanley - Quantitative Model Developer (Budapest, Hungary)
- Nine Connections - Machine Learning Developer (Amsterdam, Netherlands)
- Rhode Island Innovative Policy Lab - Data Scientist (Providence, RI, USA)
- Stratagem Technologies - Reinforcement Learning Research (London, UK)
- UNICEF - Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist (Kinshasa, Congo)
Program taught in: