The highly practical focus of our Competition and Market Regulation Program ensures that graduates have both an advanced understanding of the interaction between theory and practice as well as the qualifications necessary for solid placement in the field.
The Barcelona GSE Competition and Market Regulation Program presents students with a learning progression, starting from the basic necessary conceptual frameworks and economic tools, and then introducing core issues in Competition Policy and Market Regulation with the help of leading specialists in each field.Students themselves will examine real-world competition policy cases and demonstrate how regulation works across specific industries such as banking, energy, and telecommunications, and will design and conduct an independent master's project in their domain.
Students will have a wealth of opportunities to complement their coursework with conferences and seminars in various fields of specialization. Chief among these is the Regulation and Competition Seminar Series, organized by the Universitat Pompeu Fabra (UPF) Department of Economics and Business, the Comisión del Mercado de las Telecomunicaciones (CMT), and the Barcelona GSE. Seminars feature academics, regulators, and practitioners at the forefront of their fields discussing specific issues and presenting original research. In addition to providing a range of regulatory issue perspectives, seminars also give students the opportunity to network with top professionals in the industry.
Study with the experts
Teaching faculty includes many industry experts teaching in the current edition of the program, as well as Massimo Motta, who has returned from his stint as Chief Competition Economist at the European Commission. Professor Motta has been involved with the master program since its foundation and brings many years of experience both in the classroom and in the practice of competition policy.
In the Fall Term, students have the opportunity to take a mathematics, statistics, and computer tools brush-up course. This is not mandatory but highly recommended to assure a smooth start.
- Maths and Statistics Brush-Up
A master project, which will be supervised in regular meetings with an advisor, will allow students to put their knowledge into practice and improve their writing and exposition skills.
Course offer is subject to change.
What skills and knowledge will I acquire in this program?
- Orderly thinking in Economic concepts, especially Microeconomics, Industrial Economics, Information Economics, Game Theory, and Strategic Behavior
- Confidence in the fundamentals of competition law and its history
- Understanding of theory and models of regulation, and in particular the basic regulatory frameworks of main industrial sectors
- Ability to publicly present cases, and the development of analytical skills for discussion and argument from different points of view
- Communication through written technical reports containing real data analysis, analysis of economic literature, and selected project themes
- Expert subject knowledge in the discussion of formalized theory on competition policy
Who will benefit from this program?
- Students with a background in Economics or Business with a strong interest in microeconomics
- Graduates in Engineering or Law who want to build their knowledge of economics, markets, and organizations
- Workforce professionals seeking in-depth training in competition and market regulation policies
- Researchers or professionals at antitrust authorities looking for advanced techniques and tools
- Aspiring Ph.D. students looking for a rigorous economic master program in Competition Policy and Market Regulation
Who hires Competition graduates?
- Consulting Firms
- Government and Authorities
- Financial Services
- International Organizations and Non-profits
- Other Industries
Examples of recent professional placements:
- Autorité de la Concurrence - Assistant Economist (Paris, France)
- Charles River Associates (CRA) - Consulting Associate (London, UK)
- Compass Lexecon - Analyst, Competition & Regulation (Madrid, Spain)
- Ernst & Young (EY) - Senior Economist (Monterrey, Mexico)
- Financial Conduct Authorities (CMA) - Senior Associate (London, UK)
- Frontier Economics - Analyst (London, UK)
- McKinsey & Company - Consultant (San Jose, Costa Rica)
- Nera Economic Consulting - Research Officer (London, UK)
- RBB Economics - Associate (Madrid, Spain)
- World Bank - Consultant (Nairobi, Kenya)
Examples of recent PhD program placements:
- Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona (UAB)
- University of Bologna
- University of Genoa
- University of Mannheim
This school offers programs in:
Last updated September 13, 2018