University of Nicosia
- Duration of study (years): 1.5 year
- Title of Studies: Educational Sciences and Management (MEd, 3 semesters)
- Level of Title of Study: Postgraduate (2nd Cycle of Studies)
- Language of instruction: Greek
- Study Mode: Full-time / Part-time
- Minimum Credits: 30
- Minimum European Credit Units (ECTS): 90
The purpose of the program is twofold. On the one hand, help the student to acquire deep knowledge in the field of specialization through (a) the monitoring of educational courses in an advanced level, (b) study the relevant literature, and (c) interaction with Faculty and other students. On the other, the program aims at fostering research skills through (a) the monitoring of specific quantitative and qualitative research courses, (b) small scale investigations in the various courses and / or drafting Master Thesis, and (c) participation in seminars / conferences research content. In general, the overall aim of the program is to help the student to become an independent thinker and scientist educator.
- To understand basic concepts, principles and models of educational leadership and administration.
- To perceive the school unit as an open system, which, on one hand, is in dialectical relationship with the wider environment in which it operates and, in turn, regulates rationalize its action for recovery of input it receives, on the arrangements for the procedures followed and to maximize its effectiveness.
- To understand the dynamics of the team and utilizing human resources in the school organization for conversion to a community of learners.
- Exercise in organization skills, management and leadership such as: communication, decision making, planning, organization and chair the session, staff development, program evaluation and school work.
- Deepen the theory and methodology introduction of innovations in education, monitoring and evaluation of teaching, assessment staff and evaluating programs and educational work.
- To study in depth theoretical aspects of education, as revealed through the philosophical, sociological and psychological analysis of them.
- Exploit research results, concerning the exercise of roles in education and the effectiveness of the educational process. At the same time, be able to plan and complete action research on self-improvement purposes.
Graduates of the program have the following options:
- Seek administrative position at school level (e.g. Manager, Assistant Manager) and / or the Ministry of Education and Culture (eg Inspector).
- Work as educators at the Pedagogical Institute.
- To occupy an academic position in a higher education institution.
Access to Further Studies
Graduates of the program can pursue doctoral studies.
- Deepen in the basic bibliography of the Direction.
- Understand the basic concepts, principles and models of the Direction that they chose and transfer this knowledge into the school context.
- To examine critically the results of research in the direction and their implications for the problems faced by the school unit and the educational system.
- Identify problems at school and system level and plan research to address them.
- To analyze critical educational problems by examining their sociological, psychological and philosophical dimensions and to plan action to address them.
- Take leadership roles related to the Direction to improve existing practices or introduce new processes.
- To contribute to the modernization of practices in the direction, eg. School administration, quality teaching, inclusive education.
- Apply skills acquired to deal with everyday problems, eg. Student / system / program evaluation, planning and decision making, communication with internal and external audiences, guidance, training and development.
- Make use of human capital when introducing innovations and introducing new practices and processes.
- To act as agents of change and innovation and to support improvement efforts.
See 28 more programs offered by University of Nicosia »
This course is