Master Degree in Mathematics
The Master's Degree programme offers cultural preparation and high-level professional training in the area of mathematics and induces the ability to set up and solve complex problems, even in operational settings, suitable for a managerial placement in the job market. The language of the course is English.
The academic year includes two didactic periods and three periods for the exam sessions.
To enroll in the Master's Degree Programme, a student must have a Degree, or another qualification obtained in Italy or abroad recognized as suitable.
The students must satisfy one of the following curricular requirements:
- hold a Degree in Class L-35 (Mathematical Sciences) or a Degree ex Law 509/99 in Class No. 32 (Mathematical Sciences);
- have acquired at least 36 CFUs in the MAT / * sectors.
- have a knowledge of English at least at level B2.
The personal preparation of the students in possession of the curricular requisites required for registration is carried out. This assessment is based on the student's previous curriculum, integrated with the programmes of the courses previously attended, and can possibly provide for an oral interview.
The two-year Master's Degree programme has two-year courses and includes training activities related to five types:
- training activities in one or more disciplinary areas that characterize the class;
- training activities independently are chosen by the student, provided they are consistent with the training project;
- training activities in one or more disciplinary areas similar to or complementary to the basic ones and to the characterizing ones, aimed at an interdisciplinary preparation;
- training activities related to the preparation of the final exam for the achievement of the qualification;
- training activities, not provided for in the previous points, aimed at acquiring additional linguistic knowledge, as well as computer and telematic skills, interpersonal skills, or in any case useful for entering the job market, as well as training activities aimed at facilitating professional choices, through direct knowledge of the employment sectors to which the qualification can give access.
The final exam consists of the preparation of a written dissertation under the guidance of a supervisor, elaborated in an original way, and in the presentation of the same in a public seminar.
The Master's Degree Programme is divided into two curricula: "Advanced Mathematics" and "Computational Mathematics and Modelling".
The Advanced Mathematics curriculum is addressed to students who wish to acquire a solid and in-depth knowledge of the various fields of advanced mathematics, with particular attention to the theoretical aspects of mathematics.
The Computational Mathematics and Modelling curriculum is addressed to students interested in more applied aspects of mathematics, in particular to explore how the integration of mathematics, computer science and statistics characterizes the modern approach to formalization (modelling side) and resolution (computational side ) of complex problems in various application areas, such as life sciences, natural sciences, economics, engineering.
For working students, part-time registration is possible, in the two 30-credit or 40-credit-year forms.
A collaboration agreement is in place between the University of Trieste and SISSA (International School of Advanced Studies) for the management of a Joint Study Programme aimed at training students to undertake a scientific research activity in Mathematics, in the context of the Advanced Mathematics curriculum. At the end of the cycle of studies, SISSA will issue a Diploma to the students of the Joint Study Programme that have achieved the established training objectives. SISSA annually announces some scholarships for students who intend to attend the Joint Study Programme.
A collaboration agreement is in place with the University of Ljubljana to issue a double Master degree in Mathematics. The agreement provides that each year a maximum number of five students enrolled in each of the two Universities attend the second year classes and take the related exams at the partner University.
About the School
Founded in 1924, the University of Trieste is a medium-sized university with a student population of approximately 16,000. It offers a wide range of degree programmes at bachelor, master and doctoral ... Read More