The Master in Communication and Sports Journalism teaches what sports journalism is about and how it works, by analyzing how the industry’s professional and social dimension has evolved nationally and internationally, including its legal and economic aspects. The Master program trains students in journalistic work covering areas such as:
Print journalism. Here key aspects of print and digital sports media production are dealt with acting according to the code of ethics of the journalism profession.
Television and sport. Here methods and specific techniques are shown for televised coverage of sports events, along with how to produce specialized content for scheduling a channel or any other audiovisual platform.
Sports radio. The use of technology in developing journalistic content in the world of sports is explored in depth. Oral presentation and radio commentating on relaying sports events is also dealt with.
Digital journalism and social networks. New technology applications in sports journalism are transforming the industry and opening up new business opportunities.
Communication management in sports organizations. Students are taught how to master the key aspects of managing a sports club, designing the fundamental aspects of its communication and decision making regarding the implications of communication when working with sports personalities and the media.
- It involves actual contact with the profession. Placements are spent at Real Madrid matches and at the Club’s facilities.
- Its training staff has proven experience in the industry.
- It equips students to perform their work (photographic cameras, video cameras, editing rooms, radio studios, television studios etc.).
- It has an international perspective.
- Work placements are spent with the club’s own media, such as Real Madrid TV, press offices, the communications department or the Real Madrid Foundation.
The Master in Communication and Sports Journalism provides a specialization for Journalism, Social or Audiovisual Communication graduates. It is also an interesting option for students from economics, social studies or sports studies backgrounds seeking to form associations with sports journalism and become leaders in the new working environments required by television, radio, digital environments and sports newspapers. This is an ideal opportunity for graduates seeking a solid specialization as part of a postgraduate qualification offering greatly enhanced employment prospects.
Universidad Europea makes a full range of facilities available to students:
- Journalistic writing classroom with an agency service, QuarkXPress, InDesign, Photoshop, and WordPress.
- Television studios with a set, production control, virtual set and video-editing booths with AVID and Final Cut systems.
- Three radio studios complete with digital mixers and a content management system for actual broadcasting.
- Video cameras, photographic cameras, and accessories needed for news coverage of different sports events.
The methodology used in the Master is based on a combination of six modules whose content is both theoretical and practical, and in which sports and the media are explored in greater depth.
These modules are complemented with a Master’s Dissertation, an external placement with media and sports organizations. Tuition consists of lectures and students creating their own radio and television programmes and blogs, taking photographs, video editing, covering sports events, and making video reports. Students will be able to hold open discussions with sports personalities and prominent media professionals. Thanks to role-playing exercises, students will be exposed to real-life experiences faced by professionals in sports reporting: press conferences, interviews communication strategies in the event of a crisis, etc.
- MODULE I. THE SPORTS JOURNALISM WORLD
- MODULE II. PRINT JOURNALISM
- MODULE III. SPORTS RADIO
- MODULE IV. TELEVISION AND SPORT
- MODULE V. DIGITAL JOURNALISM AND SOCIAL NETWORKS
- MODULE VI. MANAGEMENT IN SPORTS COMMUNICATION
The admissions process for Real Madrid Graduate School - Universidad Europea programs runs throughout the whole year, although enrollment in all graduate programs depends on the availability of places.