IMT MINES ALBI is a graduate school of engineering located in the city of Albi, a warm, lovely and affordable city near Toulouse, in the Southwest of France.
All students have an accommodation in town or on the campus where they can practice many sports activities, even in the week-end.
-> DO YOU WANT TO BECOME A PROFESSIONAL THAT CONTRIBUTES TO CREATE A FAIRER WORLD?
Do you want to design technical solutions that meet energy needs while reducing the consumption of non-renewable resources and greenhouse gas emissions? If so, the Master Biomass and Waste for Energy and Materials, 100% taught in English, offers you a unique opportunity to become a major player in climate and social changes. In joining this full-time program over two years, you will acquire all the required skills to be at the forefront of decision-making in the field of Waste and Biomass Valorization to face tomorrow’s challenges.
In joining the BiWEM Master, you will experience a challenging learning environment:
- The BiWEM program is boosted by the research department RAPSODEE CNRS UMR 5302 with an outstanding national and international recognition. You will meet highly qualified and internationally recognized teachers since RAPSODEE, whose Director is the renowned Professor Ange NZIHOU, collaborates with many top universities around the world
- You will have access to our impressive and up-to-date on-site pilot-scale facilities. RAPSODEE has been granted by the French government as a research center of excellence in Science for Energy Conversion (a label given to only 10% of research labs in France) and has advanced thermal technologies for the conversion of waste and biomass into energy carriers and useful materials.
- You will have strong interactions with expert practitioners from the industry through lectures, conferences, visits and practical sessions (including internship).
-> HOW PRACTICAL ARE THE CLASSES?
Our wish is to have
- strong interactions between students, teachers, researchers and expert practitioners from the industry and
- a pragmatic and concrete approach.
Thus, you will have the opportunity to undertake an industrially-relevant team project which will represent 25% of the three academic semesters duration. This project is sponsored by world leading companies and performed under the supervision of expert practitioners. You will acquire the ability to design economically viable biological or thermochemical processes for the conversion of biomass and waste into new materials or energy carriers, within a sustainable development frame. Also, during the 6-month thesis or internship (semester 4), students have the opportunity to consolidate and improve their knowledge and their skills. If made in France, this internship period will be paid with a minimum of 500€/month (can be much more).
-> WHAT IS THE PROGRAM OF THE MASTER?
Environmental and social economic issues (25 ECTS) Ethics, management and economics of the environment Corporate social responsibility Ecotechnologies and innovation Global environmental business.
Fundamental science and generic engineering tools (21 ECTS) Fundamentals of transport phenomena, applied chemistry, biochemistry, metabolic pathways Generic numerical and experimental methods for process optimization and engineering Process modeling, integration and assessment.
Fundamentals for renewable resource conversion (22 ECTS) Resource availability, collection, and sustainability Biomass and waste pre-processing Fundamentals of biological and thermochemical reactor design Gas and solid coproducts post-processing.
- Putting theoretical concepts into practice (22 ECTS) Industrial visits Industrially-relevant project work, sponsored by industrial partners: Environmental-friendly design of an economically viable processing route for turning waste or biomass into energy, chemical or useful material.
-> WHAT ARE THE TYPICAL JOBS?
- R&D Engineer
- Junior Project Engineer
- Process Engineer
- Exploitation engineer
- Environmental consultant
-> WHAT ARE THE SCHOLARSHIPS AND FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE?
- 1 or 2 merit-based grants will be available for 1 or 2 deserving students of the master, to significantly reduce the tuition fees. All admitted students will be automatically candidate to this grant, results will be known by the end of May.
- Scholarships of the French Embassy: every year, the French Embassies in the world offer scholarships to students pursuing master studies in France.
- All students from IMT Mines Albi will benefit from a monthly financial assistance from the French government to help them pay their accommodation.
- The 4th semester of the master is dedicated to a paid internship (if made in France).
- Albi is a very affordable city compared to other cities in France (Paris, but also Toulouse or Nantes) or in Europe.
-> HOW TO APPLY?
In order to be a candidate for the master BiWEM, students should have obtained a bachelor degree and apply on our website before July: https://inscriptions.mines-albi.fr/index.php?lang=en.
-> DO YOU WANT MORE INFORMATION?
This school offers programs in:
Last updated August 13, 2018