Master’s Program - Food of Life
Food of Life is a cross-disciplinary master’s program within the science of animal-derived foods. In a unique way, the course combines animal science, food science, and technology.
Food of Life is a part of the Erasmus Mundus program initiated by the European Commission to enhance and promote European higher education throughout the world. The two-year Master’s program builds on the expertise of four European universities:
-- University of Copenhagen,
-- Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences,
-- Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona,
-- University of Helsinki
Food of Life is a cross-disciplinary Master’s program integrating Animal Science, Food Science, and Technology. In a unique way, the education combines these sciences focusing on social as well as cultural and, of course, scientific aspects of the food production chain.
EM Food of Life offers:
- Two-year world class MSc
- Integration of Animal Science and Food Science/Technology
- Study at two leading European universities
- Research-based teaching
- Double Degree
- EU Scholarships
As an EM Food of Life student, you must study in two of the consortium partner countries. If you hold an Erasmus Mundus scholarship, these two countries must be different from the country in which you obtained your last university degree. You will also have the opportunity for a shorter study period in Canada, United Kingdom, New Zealand or Italy. The program is taught in English and leads to the award of a Double Degree (120 ECTS) in animal science and/or food science disciplines, depending on the choice of institutions.
Through the EM Food of Life Masters program, you will acquire knowledge in the basic theories, practical technologies and research and development methodologies, preparing you for a career in the food production industries. You will work with topics such as:
- How to meet increased global requirements for meat and milk products
- How to deal with increased emphasis on product quality, proven health benefits for the consumer
- How to improve animal health and welfare reduced environment impact
Admission & Application
The EM Food of Life Masters Course is open to non-EU and EU students.
Every year approx. 17-20 EU scholarships are available.
- Category A Scholarships for Third-Country nationals: Total € 48.000 EUR
- Category B Scholarships for European nationals and others complying with the 12 months rule: Total € 20.000
For both categories please note:
- You must study in two of the consortium partner countries.
- The two countries must be different from the country in which you obtained your last university degree.
It is possible to be admitted to the Course, even though you are not awarded a scholarship. You will then have to cover EM Food of Life participatory costs. If you finance your study yourself, you are allowed to study in the country of your last university degree.
- A good first university degree in relevant discipline (animal science, food science or technology, other biological science)
- High proficiency in English: IELTS score: 6.0 TOEFL score: 560/IBT 83
- Strong personal statement of motivation
- Good recommendations from two references, of which at least one is academic
- Relevant work experience